purchasing N80 through B&H

smith_jay

I think the F80 would be an overseas version of the camera, i.e., not imported by Nikon U.S.A. This is a "grey market" item supported by B & H's own warranty. B & H is a very reputable dealer, one of the very best of the big New York photo firms. On their web page they actually have a detailed discussion of the "grey market" issue, including advice regarding under what circumstances it's best to pay extra for the U.S.A. imports.

In this case, if the prices of the N80 and F80 are the same, it would seem to make sense to buy the N80, as obtaining warranty service from Nikon as opposed to B & H is likely to be easier.

I've bought LOTS of photo items from B & H and Adorama (the two discounters that I think are most reputable/reliable), and have never had a significant problem. If one orders from them over the phone occasionally you will encounter a salesperson who is a bit brusque. This is a small inconvenience, but in my opinion nothing more.

If you do a lot of low-light shooting (from your other thread) I might look at a different body. A used N90s will still meter with older manual focus lenses like the 24/2.0 and 35/1.4 AIS.

In AF, I find the D100 (same 'engine') to be a little lacking in low light compared to an F100 or N90s. And be and sure to turn the damn 'headlight' off.

It's not a big deal, I would never tell somebody who already had an N80, "Sorry, you have the wrong camera for low light shooting, sell it and get another." I figured as long as you weren't committed yet it was worth bringing up.

If you want to speak to a service rep at B&H, e-mail Henry Posner. Period. Don't try their live assistance, don't try e-mailing anybody else, don't try calling. Everybody else sucks, but Henry definitely makes up for his underlings' stupidity. Seriously.

Anyway, going out to take some pictures (with my N75 from B&H)!