Is Minolta DiMAGE Scan Multi II best budget option for MF?

I've recently bought a Minolta 5400 for 35mm work and I'm very happy

with the results I'm getting. I've tried the Canon 9900F and Epson

3200 flatbeds for medium format work, but returned both to the seller

because I didn't find the results acceptable. In the case of the

Epson the problem wasn't outright image quality, but limitations of

the software (and, seemingly, the hardware) regarding exposure

control. I'm sure that the Scan Multi II will give me decent results,

and it should be worth a try. However, I'm wondering if there are any

other MF scanners worth considering in the same price bracket. Any

suggestions?

Depends on what you mean. I've seen the DSM2 go for $499, and I've seen it go for $1500. If you can get it for $500, I've seen it scan MF Tri-X pretty nicely. I've had issues getting it's color scanning working well (so far, but I've only had it a week!). If you can't find it for less than a $1000, the Multi Pro could be an option. But then you could also get the Nikon Super Coolscan 8000 for about the same price.

Hi Chris,

Yes, I'm assuming that the "price point" for this unit is $499 or below (I've seen postings saying that people have obtained reconditioned units for as little as $150). Unfortunately the stock situation in the UK where I live appears to be much worse than in the US. I've found only one supplier with stock, and they are asking GBP1100, which is quite a difference!

I'm not into buying a Multi Pro or LS-8000 at this stage, because they're too expensive and will possibly be replaced by better models within the next few months. When that happens I may splash out for a higher-spec unit, but meanwhile I want something relatively cheap that let me get prints from my Mamiya 6. I initially thought the Epson 3200 would do the job, but I was disappointed with the lack of proper exposure control, so a cheap dedicated MF film scanner seems like the next logical option.

It depends on what you're scanning--I've found the Polaroid

Sprintscan 120 (reincarnated as the Microtek 120f) to be a really

good B&W scanner, better than the Bikon 8000. The only caveat

is that the bundled software is pretty useless--Vuescan gives

you a lot more control and predictablity. But its lack of ICE,

combined with (in the three units I've used at least) 3-5 pixel

color registration problems make it much, much less suitable for

color work.

I wouldn't write off any scanner 'til I'd tried it with Vuescan.

Is there anything more concrete you could share about new MF

scanners coming in the next few months??

Hi Roger,

I haven't got any hard information regarding any possible new products, I'm just guessing based on the fact that Nikon and Minolta's models are getting long in the tooth now. Espcially given that Minolta has just upped the ante with a 5400ppi 35mm scanner, it seems likely to me that the Multi Pro will get upgraded in the next few months. I could easily be wrong, but for now I'm not willing to shell out for the more expensive units.

At $499 the Multi II is an attractive proposition as a stop-gap, while I wait to see what else comes onto the market. I would definitely be interested in the SS120/120f instead, but to the best of my knowledge it can't be had for anything like that little money. If I'm wrong, please point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

Best regards,

-= mike =-

I would guess that the chances of the Multi Pro or the Nikon 8000 being upgraded are extremely slim. These are very specialized items compared to 35mm scanners and I really don't see any return for the manufacturers in doing pretty small upgrades to these two. The market for them is much smaller than 35mm scanners and the digital capture environment is still in a state of huge chance and advancement.

Time will tell - personally I think there will be some upgrades as these are flagship products for the various manufacturers, and if you're talking about the impact of digital capture, then MF scanners actually make more rather than less sense compared to 35mm film scanners. In my case, it's all a side issue anyway as $499 is pretty much the limit of my budget for the time being. In the absence of any other suggestions I think I'm going to go for the Minolta, as that seems like great VFM at that price.

• 2 months later...