Canon D-30 or D-300? (how to build a cheap DSLR system)

pablo_s

I'd like to get a DSLR system but I'm a poor student and my budget

is very limited. The introduction of the D-300 seems to open some

good perspectives though. The only realistic choices that I have

right now is: getting a used D-30 or a new D-300. As for lenses, I

plan to begin with the 50/1.8 plus a EF 28-105/3.5-4.5 USM or a EF

28-135/3.5-5.6 IS USM. If I get the D-300 I might consider the wide-

angle that comes with it for additional $100.

The D-30 option is of course cheaper but I'm getting used equipment

and less resolution. I don't care too much about resolution though,

since I don't plan to do any very large prints, and my initial

lenses won't be that great anyway. Right now the D-30 is selling at

$700 and I guess the price will drop even further once the D-300

starts shipping. On the other hand, the D-300 offers a cheap, if not

good quality, wide-angle solution.

So the basic question is how do the D-30 and D-300 compare. The D-30

is older so one can expect some improvements on the D-300, but on

the other hand the D-300 should be a more basic camera. The

specifications seem to be more or less similar for both.

Any adivce will be welcome!

The D30 was notorious for having a less than perfect AF system which required assistance at low light levels and didn't track rapidly moving objects too well.

This was MUCH improved on the 10D and the 300D appears to use the same AF system as the 10D.

So if AF performance is important, I'd lean towards a 300D. You also can't really discount the advantage of twice as many pixles. Even if you don't make large prints, the extra pixels let you crop more.

I don't know what the D30 price will drop to now. Maybe a D30 at $450 would be a better buy than a 300D at $900. I don't think the same could be said for a D30 at $700. My guess is that D30 prices will be driven down to $500 or less, so it really depends on what sort of deal you can get on one. At the right price, I wouldn't pass up a D30.

I would say that the D-300 would be the best option at this point. Bob is right about the used pricing on the D30. Though given that the D30 is two generations removed from the 10D. There has been improvements in the CMOS and with processing speed in camera from the Digic chips.

Also don't sell short the need/desire for larger size prints. Also you will be surprised on how even "cheap" lenses will provide for good prints. Also wide angle can be expensive to get into with a D30, the 18-35 looks to be a promising lens. If Pop Photo tests are to believed the Nikon 28-100G lens I believe was tested at the best of the class. So we could see something special with the 18-35 too.

You'd be plain silly to buy a D30 for $3000. Is that body only? Har har :D.

The 300D isn't out yet, but seeing I've ordered one I'd say get the 300D. Like you said yourself, the D30 is old, used and you're not sure how it was used. It's not coming with a warranty nor peace of mind. Two years from now, if you're working and want to upgrade to a pro DSLR, you might be able to sell off your 300D... but not a D30. You can't just throw it in the forest as it's got toxic components. You probably have to pay someone to take it from you.

Also, even if you could get a cheap wide angle for the D30, it ain't as cheap or as new as the lens which comes with the 300D package.

Remember... in 2 years you might just start to see some Pro models selling for what the 10D is right now. Don't get stuck with something nobody even wants to trash for you. Then again...

If I were in your shoes I would go with the Digital Rebel (300-D) I read that the shutters in the eos digital bodies are only good for around 50,000 cycles. Having just bought the 10D I can tell you within a couple of days I have headed toward the 1,000 mark already. Get the 18-55mm lens with the 300-D for a hundred bucks you can't beat that wide angle. If this lens worked on the 10D I would buy it.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I'll go with the D-300 (unless it turns out to be a much worse camera than it seems). Given my ultra tight budget that means I'll have to start with a very modest set of lenses, but I can always extend it over time.

I am in the exact same dilema as Pablo. I however, am leaning toward the d30 at this point. I could very easily be wrong (so dont go crazy if i am), but the d30, despite the lower pixel count looks like a much better camera. You get custom functions, better metering, much better construction, faster framerate and a bigger buffer. All of these benifits in exchange for less pixels and slower AF (i dont need a fast system) seem to make the d30 the better choice, especially at half the price!