doug_nelson1

All you can carry, right? It gets awfully heavy in a hurry. I have it

down to my F-1 (2nd version), best 28, and the 85 1.8. I bring the 50

1.4 SSC, or cover that with a Leica CL and its 40. A Vivitar macro 2x

extender rounds it out. A tripod is just too cumbersome, so I

make do with a monopod. Someday I'll have the guts to limit my kit to

the chrome-nose 35 f2 and the 2x extender, all in a Lowe PhotoRunner

bag.

I am facing the same question for a trip to Ireland. Because of the rapidly changing light I want to take at least three bodies with different film types. I would love to include a Bessa L with a 25mm but I can fit one body, a 24mm, 35-70, Vivitar 70-150 with matched extender in a Lowepro Off Trail 1. A second case will have to hold the other bodies, a 50mm, and 2 coolpix Nikons. Also, I can't image going without taking a Stylus Epic in my pocket.

28/50/85 is a good spread. Replacing the 50 with the Leica CL isn't a bad idea either, for occasions when you might want to be more compact.

I usually travel with maybe 5 lenses, but I don't carry all of them all the time. I'll just take what I think I'll need for the outing of the moment. That might be just one wide-normal lens (35mm or equivalent, depending on what format I'm shooting), or a wide, a normal, and a long lens as you've proposed, or occasionally I'll bring everything.

I'd bring my two Canon Ae-1/Ae-1 Program for Plus-X in one, Reala in the other. 28/2.8 with polarizer, 50/1.4SSC (for available light), and 100/2.8. I wouldn't bring a tripod or monopod, since with a bit of creativity I could likely find a variety of ways to prop the cameras, and the monopod/tripod adds bulk and too many options. Less options leads to less worrying about what to use when and more enjoyment of where I'm travelling. I'd probably would get a Lowepro backpack style camera bag too, and use it as a daypack and as my carry on luggage. That's pretty much it.

Well, I usually took my FD stuff from Europe elsewhere (mainly Africa). What I would take now, would be: 35/2.0, 50/1.4, 100/2.8, 24-35L and 80-200L. If weigth is a problem, maybe just the two zooms and the 50/1.4 lens.

A few years I have travelled with 17/3.5 (Tokina), 35/2.0, 80-200L and 300/2.8L and converters. But then my main subject was wildlife with an occaisional landscape.

Last time I went, I carried a T90 and an F1, 2 Bronica ETR's, a big 'ol pile of lenses, flashes, all sorts of film, etc. I ended up with a kit that weighed 41 lbs according to American Airlines' scale. It was so much hassle to repack everything in my bag I found myself deliberately letting potential photo ops slip away.

Never again.

I would take a Leica M with a spread of lenses. The 40/90 Rokkors would work great, but a 15/4.5 Voigt/Cosina would be a nice addition for cathedrals and what-not.

If I were going to go with strictly FD stuff? Probably a T90, 50/1.4, 100/2, and something wider (35/28/24/20/whatever floats your boat). I'd likely skip the flash but bring some fast film.

Hi Doug,

I've thought about this too, this is my list so far. Along with an F-1N, eye level, PD screen and 199A/wide panel, I'd probably take the FDn's 24 f/2, 50 f/1.4, 100 f/4 with FD-25 and 200 f/4, hoods and caps, maybe an extra cap too. Also, a Bogen 3216 monopod with a 3026 head. An off camera flash bracket, camera holder with two attached release mounts and flash cord A. 52mm C-polarizer, UV, skylight and enhancing filters too. Delta 1 OFR mist, lens tissue, microfibre cloth, blower brush, spring loaded tweezers, 2x40 and 000x40 screwdrivers, Polaris flash/incident meter, 8x loupe, instant hand sanitizer, role of black tape and a $5 calculator for guide numbers. The one thing I might exchange would be the 100 f/4+FD25 for a Macro coupler 52, along with an FD-15 and an 85 f/1.8.

<p>I'm assuming that you are going on vacation and would like to take some photos. Not coming specifically on a photo holiday.

<p>I did a month long Europe trip a few years ago. I'll tell you what I actually did take.

<p>A Canon Rebel 2000 with AA battery pack. 28-105 USM zoom and a 100-300 zoom. I also carried a Leica C1 point & shoot. (Honestly, for travel, the EOS gear is so light compared to the FD stuff.) The photos I got were really pretty good. In fact, that trip rekindled my interest in photography which had been dormant (in remission?) for several years.

<p>If I had the opportunity to do that trip again, this time I'd take a Leica M6 and Hexar RF. 35/50/90 lenses because that is what I have. I might have to buy a 21.

<p>Now I know that neither of those really help, since you are asking about FD gear. So, limiting myself to FD, I'd carry your choice of bodies. 24, 35, and 85. Personally, I'd skip the 50 just because I hardly ever seem to use it and I love the 85/1.8. A 20 would be worth considering... but I'd probably not end up taking it. Forget the flash.

<p>The one FD lens I wish I had to take on a trip like this? Easy, the 35 TS.

<p>There are two recommendations that I'd like to make.

<p>The first and most important is to carry a simple point & shoot. The C1 filled that role for me, but it is a bit too large. Get something that you can easily slip into your pocket for going out without the other stuff weighing you down. You don't want to drag a whole bag full of gear to dinner or the theater.

<p>Get something inexpensive enough that you wouldn't need to worry about. The Olympus Stylus 100 wide with the 28-100 zoom comes to mind since it has 28 at the wide end but there are others.

<p>That p&s is perfect when you want to hand the camera to someone else to snap your picture. Or if the weather is terrible. The CL is a wonderful camera, but not something I'd feel comfortable handing to someone on the street.

<p>The second recommendation is to pack a small daypack in your luggage. I found a daypack perfect for carrying stuff around town, jacket, water, maps, and of course my camera. I hardly ever used my actual camera bag.

<p>Enjoy your trip!

<p>Oh yeah... drop me a note if you come to Geneva. I live there now!

T-90, 35 F2 or 50 F1.4- I can never decide on which, 24 F2.8 Vivitar TX, 90 F2.8 Tamron Macro (love that lens), and the 70-200, & perhaps the 300. For B&W/faster film then smaller body also.

If space is really limited- an my main purpose is not photography AE-1 or Program, 24 F2.8 Viv, 35-70 F3.5 Tamron macro (not great, but better built than the equivalent Canon 3.5-4.5), 70-150 F4.5 FDn. All on 400 ISO)

Both kits in a Lowepro Orion Trekker.

OK this is our kit we are going in Sept for 3 weeks.

Canon A1 w/B screen (me)

Canon AE-1P w/B screen (her)

Canonet G-III QL-17 40mm f1.7 (for snap shots)

19mm f3.8 Vivitar

2)28-70mm f3.5/4.5 Tokina SD zooms

50mm f1.8

75-200mm f4.5 nFD (very lt. wt.)

Tokina 2X 7 element

FD-25 tube

1/2 a dozen filters (52mm will fit all but the 19mm)

011A speedlite (the size of a pack of ciggs)

Velbon Maxi 343E tripod (weighs less then my Monopod)

I own currently 15 Fd bodies and 50+ lenses for 17mm to 600mm but I have chosen for lt wt. and low replacement value while having better then average optical quality. The Tokina zooms are amazing for the $60.00 they can be had for on ebay. The 50mm f1.8 will do for any low light stuff (hey I can carry a couple of rolls of 800) the 75-200 while not the best zoom in the canon line up mine is nice and sharp with great color it is very very lt.wt. and compact using 52mm filters works well with the Tokina 2X giving me from 19mm f3.8 to 400mm f9.0) We both enjoy bird photgraphy and to not have something long would drive us crazy. This is also a kit that if stolen wouldn't make me cry just real mad. We will be travelling by private auto most of the time with our only walking being site seeing stuff (wife has bad knees so no long hikes) She will be using a Tamrac 5200 waist/shoulder bag and I a small canvas satchel type bag with home made dividers. For film we will carry only a few rolls with us as I will buy for our needs once we land in London and all film will be developed as we go the negs mailed home the prints my wife is going to lable as we go giving her something to do in the evenings.

My short formula is two bodies with wide angle, fast standard, and medium tele (in the 100-135mm range) lenses. To that add a small flash and a TRIPOD.

Yes, they're cumbersome, and heavy, and generally a huge PITA, but I've never regretted taking mine anywhere.

On the other hand, I also carried all that and more 35mm junk (at least a couple of other lenses and a cornucopia of miscellaneous widgets) plus a Speed Graphic with sheet film holders, changing bag, etc., on a backpacking trip in the San Juan mountains in SW Colorado, so I could be just plain crazy. I'll let you be the judge.

Kind off depends what your subjects will be. However for normal traveling I would take one T-90, a 20-35 3.5L and the 35-105 3.5 and maybe the 80-200 4.0L (depending on subjects). When doing lots of interior shots in churches, etc. or the need for traveling light I would replace the 20-35 with a 24 2.8 and when there will be a lot of outdoor shooting I might ad a 2XB extender for the 80-200.

Another factor is your means of transportation. When using public transport the above kit is what I would take. When traveling by car (wich I prefer highly above public transport) I would take the prime lenses in these focal distances (and longer/shorter) with me.

And Mark W., a tip for you: Film, like everything else, is very expensive in Londen. I do not know your next stop however bring enough for Londen and buy new film in the next part of Europe you will visit. Most likely it will be a lot cheaper (exception might be Schiphol Airport Amsterdam, also very expensive).

Canon brand glass only. Why take off brand if you love FD? I assume my homeowners insurance would cover the theft of equiptment??? Heres the short list: 17mm , 20mm , 35mmTS , 50 macro , 200 2.8 IF , 2xb , macro auto ring, and a F-1N ,AE finder & speedfinder, with AE drive and aa pack. If the wife is with me then include her 2002 era pentax body and an ancient but outstanding 15mm rectilinear, 80-320 zoom and 28-80 in her bag. Sorry for the pentax info, but the canon system is too heavy for her. Lindy

I suppose if weight was the chief consideration, I wouldn't be lugging FD equipment. I took the Vivitar 90 Series 1 last trip and resented the weight. I didn't shoot anything that the FD 85 1.8 would not have done as well. The wrong architectural shot with the FD 85, however, can be a pincushion distortion poster case.

I found a good light bag, the Beseler 710 at KEH. They're only $30 now. It's not as heavy as the Tamrac equivalent, and has no really useless buckles. I formerly carried everything in a military tool bag with a zipper up the middle, but had to use Zing pouches over everything to keep from banging up the lenses.

Someone mentioned theft. The gypsies in Prague are said to be quite adept, but I didn't have a problem. It's a problem many places, especially car break-ins, but it's probably more likely that my cameras could be stolen from my house.

Hi Doug, The wife has a Lowepro mini trekker, the one with the flipout tripod foot. Neat design! I have the larger and deeper lowepro phototrekker. If we both went to europe I would get the mini trekker too for the smaller group of glass less my 400 4.5. The 400mm fits perfect with body attached and speedfinder attached in the phototrekker; Not possible with mini trekker AW. Both are backpack bags. Both are All Weather. Best deal on minitrekker I got was Henrys of Ontario Canada. I think $87 plus 9 USA delivery. Lindy

Norbert:

Oct 2001 I ran out of film at mesa verde national park. The 200 kodak color print film set me back 7.99 a 24exp roll. No multipaks available in the park. Is this similar to London film prices you mentioned? It hurt real bad when I bought them. Thanks, Lindy

Lindy,

My guess is film prices in Londen will be not as high as you mentioned. The national parks are offcourse more or less remote area's without any competion in the market. Londen on the otherhand is a city with a healty amount of shops offering film. It's been a while since I've been to Londen (2 years) so I have no hard data on prices however be prepared to pay a higher price then elsewere. Londen is a beautiful yet expensive city.

Norbert

I tend to think in extremes, so I'd go with a wider spacing between lenses in my kit. My lens choices would go something like 20mm, 50mm and 135mm. Maybe throw in a 2X TC to add a longer capability. Of course I'd take my T90, it's too sexy to leave behind. An A-1 if no T90 was available.

I usually take one 35mm SLR plus a 35mm Minox camera ("weightless").

The lighter, the better. I have also been to Europe with a range finder camera (Canon P) and 3 small lenses, plus the Minox. Film in Germany is less costly than in the USA, so I get my film there. The film processing is far superior to what we get in the USA at standard places.

I went to Asia in December and brought:

<ul>

<li>A-1 body.</li>

<li>28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 135mm f/2.8 FDn lenses.</li>

<li>Standard b&w filters in yellow, green and red (note that all 4 lenses have the same 52mm ring).</li>

<li>Cable release and angle-finder.</li>

<li>Plenty of film in ASA 200, 400 and 3200.</li>

<li>LowePro S&F Reporter 200 AW shoulder bag (it has a very convenient zipper in the top that allows you to get the camera in and out without unbuckling and flipping up the cover flap).</li>

<li>My wife carried a Yashica T5 with a fixed 35mm f/3.5 lens loaded with color film -- a great bad-weather or going-out-to-dinner option.</li>

</ul>

<p>My experience was:

<ul>

<li>I never used the 135mm; I guess my style of photography is to get close enough to use the shorter lenses.</li>

<li>I was glad I didn't bring my 35mm-105mm f/3.5 zoom; it's *much* too heavy to carry around all day.</li>

<li>I wished I had a second body so I could use fast film and slower film as needed (there were lots of transitions from blazing sunlight to dim temple interiors) or color and b&w film, but that would've required a larger bag.</li>

<li>I wished I'd brought more ASA 3200 film, since I don't like to use (and didn't bring) a flash.</li>

<li>A beanbag is plenty good enough if you have a cable release; no tripod necessary.</li>

<li>Sometimes I wished I had a super-wide like a 20mm or 17mm for dramatic interior shots, but I don't know if I would've like to lug one around.</li>

<li>I wish I'd had a Lecia CL and 40mm Summicron to bring as my second body!</li>

</ul>