Vivitar 365 zoom thyrsistor

meatwagon

i just bought this flash the vivitar 365 with the external

thyrisor but it didnt come with a battery supply... Can anyone tell

me what i need to run this and if its a good flash for a slave? I

am currently using a nikon sb-28 and canon 420 ez, Is the vivitar as

powerful? I tried lookin for info on this flash on the net and

couldnt find a thing..I only paid 15$ cnd for it. THanks Jamie!

• 2 months later...

i know its kind of late but,

Vivitar 365 flash body, Vivitar top of the line pro flash at the time, with bracket, Vario Sensor, separate shoulder AA battery HVP pack;

uses the VP-2 Vario Power and Nicad Charger 60; also uses a 2 1/4 Plate and LVP-1" "C Cell Power Pack.

if you found any more info and/or did you use the flash and "liked"

please email me.

thanx

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Morning,

The Vivitar 365 flash LVP-1 Power Pack can be powered by eight (8) "C" cell batteries using the AP-2 battery Tray or by one NC-4 Rechargeable Ni-Cad battery that goes into the power pack in place of the battery holder.

In my experience used units will not come with he AP-2 Battery Tray and it is hard to find.

I have four or more of these unit purchased at very reasonable cost from ebay.

I have used the 365 with my Canon D60 Digital camera with no problems using a flash sync cable and controlling the flash output with the VP-2 Vari-Power module that plugs into the unit in place of the remote sensor. I find the Vari-Power module of great use and rarely use the remote sensor. As with the AP-2 Battery Tray the VP-2 Vari-Power module can be difficult to find.

The NC-4 Ni-Cad Battery Packs are also hard to find and require the Charge 60 to recharge them. The Charge 60 will charge the battery in one (1) hour. If you decide to go this route I recommend you find a service that can recell any NC-4 batteries you find. I have had great success using a local company that has recelled two (2) NC-4 Battery Packs for me. With new cells installed they last much better than using "C" six batteries, and give much better recycle times.

A complete 365 system should include (all items 1 each):

1. Flash Head, Model 365

2. Owners Manual

3. Clamp Bracket *

4. Power Cord

5. RS=3 Remote Sensor

6. LVP-1 Power Pack

7. AP-2 Alkaline Battery Holder

8. Shoulder Strap w/Pad

9. PC-1 Shutter Cord

10.21mm Wide Angle Panel

* Clamp Band and Quick Release Clamp sold as optional accessory kit in some countries.

Optional Accessories

Charge 60,

12 VDC Cord for Charge 60,

NC-2 Ni-Cad Battery Pack,

Vari-Power 2,

SB-5 AC Adapter,

3 Meter Sensor Extension Cord for 365,

Color Wide Filter Kit (same as kit for Vivitar 283 Flash),

Filter Kit(same as kit for Vivitar 283 Flash),

AP-2 Alkaline Battery Tray,

35mm Bracket,

6 X 6 Bracket,

Sensor Adapter-1,

SL-2 Remote Flash Trigger,

Umbrella w/Bracket,

This is a very powerful flash that when working properly can provide some stunning results. I have found that I get much better digital pictures when using this flash. I'm especially fond of the umbrella attachment for portrait work.

I hope this helps some of you out there.

• 6 months later...
One caution to all about this strobe in the digital era is the elevated shoe voltage. This has about 54 volts on the shoe (or the PC cord) when fully charged. This higher voltage can damage many digital cameras. Before directly connecting this verify the highest voltage that the camera can survive. If this is a problem the strobe can be triggered with a reducer module or with a remote slave.

• 5 years later...

<p>This posting is way, way old but it still pops up in Google so I am updating it with the correct information.<br>

The Vivitar 365 needs 365 VDC to drive the strobe (hence the name 365). The power pack LVP-1 takes the 12 VDC from the batteries and converts it to 365 VDC.<br>

SB-5 ac adpater produces 360 VDC from 120 or 240 VAC. Recycle time is 50-60 seconds. The manual states that it is 14 seconds but that is wrong. I spoke with Vivitar tech support around 1986 and they confirmed the mis-print.<br>

As Lawrence states the trigger voltages are 48 to 54 VDC. I use a Wein SafeSync with my digital cameras to trigger my 365 strobe.</p>