Battery for Kiev 60 TTL Meter

james_korolas

<hr><i><b>Before you read this question, DON'T respond if you're

going to pan my choice of camera, or tell me to use a handheld meter!

</b></i>

<hr>

<br>

I have a Kiev 60 and TTL Meter (both manufactured in 1988). <b>This

is the older non-spot meter</b>. It came with four LR44 batteries in

it, but I believe that this is wrong.

<br><br>

I'm told I need a 4.5volt battery (that should be THREE LR44

batteries, but they would be way to loose in there).

<br><br>

Anyone know the real battery I would need? If I know this, then I

can make one up with the appropriate voltage and dimensions using

button cell batteries.

<br><br>

Thanks!<br>

-James

James,

<p>

there is a lot of information about kiev prisms on the internet, i.e. look under http://www.kievusa.com/faqpage.html or do a google search. AFAIK all kiev prisms (my late KIEV 88 one included) take 3 LR44 batteries. Maybe yours is missing a spring somewhere ?

<p>

There is also somewhere on the net a detailed instruction on how to disassemble and adjust / reassemble the prism; most of these prisms are out of alignment and I guess yours is, too, so you have to open it for calibration anyway and can then adjust the space for the batteries.

With the "accuracy" of the Kiev Prism meters I think a better solution is a handheld meter. I have taken the batteries (3LR44s) out of both of mine and just use a little Vivitar meter I picked up at a camera show for about $5. With the time you waste getting the 2 lights on in the meter and, then transfering the information to the shutter speed and aperture combination, a handheld meter is much quicker.

• 3 months later...

Your camera needs 3 LR44 batteries, not 4... I think the post above sugggesting you're missing a spring is correct, but I've also heard that there is another battery combo (used in the old Soviet Union/Russia) that can be used which is slightly larger - but is either not available or rare nowadays. In any case, you should be able to use a spring to "space" out and get a tight fit.

As far as your choice of camera is concerned, whatever works for you is what you want. I've got a nice Kiev 60 MLU and have been happy with it. Congrats. :-)

I have an old prism. No way it takes 3 batteries. What it really needs is some long gone Soviet battery. On the Arax website they show an adapter for it. The adapter in the pictures looks like a piece of plastic pipe with a metal insert in the end. The insert looks like a battery cover.

I tend to like the waist level finder better not to mention I tend to carry a handheld meter so I haven't tried fixing mine. If you really want a working meter either rig something up or get an adapter. Personally considering the cost of the adapter and shipping it might be cheaper to buy one of the new cameras off Ebay. Supposedly the newer prisms don't need the adapter.

Personally I've found a piece of plastic pipe fits inside the battery compartment perfectly. Now that I've really looked at the adapter on the Arax website I might just try to make my own to see if it works.

I hope some of this makes sense.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 years later...

<p>Hi all, I put the 3 LR44 batteries in my Kiev 60 TTL and I dont see any lights lighting up in the viewfinder. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Also what does the knob on top of the prism with the V on it do?</p>

<p>Also, can anyone recommend a good comfortable neck strap for this camera? The one that cam with it is too thin and digs into my neck.</p>

<p>Thanks!!!!</p>