MF 35mm with good multi-exp capability?

darin_cozine

I have a friend who is looking to get back into photography.

He is looking for a good manual 35mm camera. <b>But he really wants

to be able to do multiple exposures. </b> I used to have a canon AE-

1, which was a great camera, but multiple exposures were done by

pressing the rewind button on bottom and then cocking the shuter. I

never used it for multiple exposures because I thought that the frame

would not stay in place between frames. <b>Is there another camera

which is better suited for multiple exposures?</b> I have some canon

FD equpment I could give him... but I would also be open to nikon or

pentax screw suggestins. He is into the retro style so older camera

suggestions are welcome. Price range would be about $100.

How about K-mount? The Ricoh XR-7 is a very underrated camera that has the multiple exposure capability. You should be able to get a working one for less than $100. There are also similar XR cameras like the XR-P that may run a bit more.

Here is the online manual for the XR-7 that explains how the multiple exposure function works:

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/xr-7/xr-7.htm#MULTIPLE EXPOSURE

I guess it's redundant at this point but I second both of the above: the Nikon FM series and the Ricoh XR7 (aka Sears KS2) are the best multi-exposure cameras I've had.

In the Canon FD mount, the EF has multiple-exposure capabilty and is a really excellent camera, way above the A series IMHO (if you don't need a power winder). You might be able to find one for $100......

:)=

The best camera I ever had to do multiple exposures with was the Pentax LX. What's neat about this camera is that you not only can use the method you just described (push in the film release button and crank) but ALSO you can go back to any frame on the role and re-expose. For example, let's say you take a romantic evening dinner photo with a dark sky. You take say 15 photos and now want to put a moon in the image on frame #3. You can rewind the film to frame three (the LX accurately counts and reframes the image) so now maybe you can pull out your long lens and put in a moon. It's a really cool feature.

The LX is a pro camera but going for rock bottom prices. All the neat features you can do with this camera would make a list as long as your arm. A true gem. Worth a look anyway.

Richard is right, but I have been seeing LXs that are 'users' being sold at under $200 (bought a backup myself at this price) and excellent ones for under $350. If you want mint or the Limited edition one made in 2000, well then you are likely looking over $1000. But considering that just a few years ago these prices were double this, I do think they are great deals (if not actually my previously quoted 'rock bottom'

there are some minolta bodies around...quite cheap ones...with quite good reputation, cheap and good lenses and easy multiple exposure possibility. Check the minolta users group webpage for how-to-multiple-expose on different bodies and for general specifications of them.

In the Minolta realm, XE and XD series cameras are multi exposure capable, also some SRTs, namely later and more full featured versions such as the SRT-102, SRT-303, and SRT-Super. Most if not all others can be tricked into doing multiple exposures by holding the film rewind button depressed, and holding on to the film rewind crank while you cock the shutter for the second exposure - this can be a bit of a hasle if you want to do this frequently.

I have to grudgingly admit that no manual focus Minolta has as nice a double exposure feature as what Douglas described for the LX.

I do not recommend the "trick" of using the film rewind button! This has fouled three cameras I know of... some recovered, some didn't. I also like older type cameras, but if you are really into mulitple exposures, the Nikon N65 (and other N series) are really amazing. My friend did a triple exposure with self timer and flash outdoors at night... fun and lots of room for creativity. It really depends on what kind of multi-exposure you want to do... at night, with a simple camera on "B" and a cable release, you can use a flash to control multi-exposures, or on most any camera, rewind the entire roll and reshoot. It's hard to recommend anything specific without knowing what kind of multi-exposures are needed.