trying to pick a body. Considering my level of experience and the

amount of money I've set aside for this, I strongly suspect I'll want

to go with one of the three currently available Rebel models. The

only problem is, I'm not sure if I should go with a Rebel 2000, Ti, or

GII. I get the feeling that the GII is the lowest-end of the three,

and I don't really want to get stuck with a low-end camera as my

skills mature, so I think it comes down to the 2000 or the Ti...any

suggestions?

The better of the two bodies is the Ti. I would recommend getting the Ti and the 50mm f1.8 lens. I have the 2000 and enjoy using it but wish I had gone for the 30/ elan 7. It has several features that I now wish I had. eg seperate dials for shutter speed and apeture and mirror lock up.

Kurt,

Go with the Ti. A friend of mine has the 2000, and it's a good camera but the Ti's AF computer is faster, it has a metal lens mount, and that nice big fat LCD in the back (thank you Minolta!), to mention a few differences. I own the Ti, my experience being I walked into a camera store, said "show me a good SLR for a beginner," the guy pulled out the Ti, I didn't believe him, did two months of research and went with the Ti in the end. Also, don't get the kit lens (junk, junk), get the 50mm f/1.8 Mark II (or the Mark I, if you can find it used, better built), then figure out what kind of zoom lens you want later. The Ti has served me well for a year now, it's small, light, can be operated with one hand, and performs well.

-Paul

In terms of the pictures that you will take, they will look the same no matter which body you choose. With that said, the design of the Ti seems to be a little bit easier to use and may help you to take better pictures (by making it easier for you).

When you are buying, remember that picture quality comes from the lens, not the body. Your local shop will probably try and sell you a kit that includes one of the 28-80, 28-90, or 28-105 (the cheap one--there are two) lenses. These lenses are terrible (Canon made these lenses so that they could have an inexpensive option to bundle with their cameras). Your best bet for starting out, as has already been said, is to get the 50 1.8. If you insist on getting a standard zoom, consider the 28-105 3.5-4.5 (not the other cheaper one).

Hope this helps. Good luck...

I think that no Rebel is suitable for the enthusiastic photographer. It's just too limited. I'd strongly recommend a used Elan instead. The one that gives the best bang for the buck is the II/IIe (50/50e) but the original one (Elan /100) is also very good.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.

<em>I think that no Rebel is suitable for the enthusiastic photographer</em>

<p>

That's odd that you say that because I know of many pros that use it quite often. Galen Rowell would often use a R2K when weight was an issue in his mountain climbing.

Yakim,

---I think that no Rebel is suitable for the enthusiastic photographer.---

What's up with you, why are you always talking bad about the Rebels.

I am a ENTHUSIASTIC PHOTOGRAPHER, and I use a Ti, my friend is also a ENTHUSIASTIC PHOTOGRAPHER which has a Elan7 and a Ti, and believe it or not she uses the Ti just as much if not more than the Elan7.

Kurt, the Ti will be a great choice for you. Faster focus than the 2000, more fps, big lcd, but I would suggest that if you buy the Ti, to also get the battery pack for it. It gives you a little more space to hold.

Joe

The focus point illumination on the EOS 330v / Rebel Ti is worth the $$ difference.

I bought my SO an EOS 300 / Rebel 2000 (R2K) and I sure miss the the illuminated focus point(s) when I use her camera and not my EOS 10s. All too often the focus points on the R2K disappear into the background.

--