home but I can not find it at adorama or bhphoot.com at all. can

someone also help me on this.

3)

i don't see any black and white film offer for 70mm film. any one

know where to buy them ?

thank you very much

Olivier

Olivier,

1) The 70 mm back has a film-feeler lever that must be depressed by film when in actual use, or be taped down for test purposes. It is located on the inside wall of the shell, near the bottom, close to the front of the magazine.

2) I'm afraid not. Sorry.

3) 70 mm film appears to be getting harder to find by the minute. I believe (!) TMax 400 is available in long rolls (100 ft). You'll need something to cut 15 ft/4.5 m lengths from this roll, and spool these into the cassettes.

2. Standard stainless reels and tanks to pr-ocess 15' (5m) rolls are only available used, rare and usually expensive, especially compared to 120 & 35mm versions. I've bought and sold them twice over the last few years. A tank and reel will run easily $100, unless you find someone who's had them a long time. I now use a Smith aerial film developer for 5" film. (I also use it for 5" film.)

3. Tri-X (TX) was available in 100' rolls last year for about $100. The Kodak spec number *was* 852-7616 (they change occasionally). Ask a pro dealer to research availability. Kodak stopped selling 15' rolls of TX in cassettes about 2 years ago.

4. Loading: you'll need a bulk loader. They occasionally show up used for ~$100. Queen City Plastics in Cincinnati Ohio was making them a couple years ago (513-871-5544), but I have no idea if they still are.

hi everyone,

can someone please tell me in detail how do i make my back 70mm work ? I try to test it without film and it does not work. I then follow the instruction of tape down the tap inside the back but still not working. can someone walk me thru this?

thank you very much

Olivier

I have 2 70mm backs and I've never tried to "test" them. I'll take a look tonight and let you know what to do.

1. I spoke with Kodak two days ago and was told that all 70mm B&W perf film is special order, 36 roll minimum. I don't know of any dealer who stocks it. Figure $115 per roll or $4,140 for the order.

2. Porta 160 NC is available in 100' rolls from B&H:

Portra-160NC 70mm 100' Roll Professional Color Print Film (ISO-160) 481 Type II Perforation R-84 Plastic Reel USA

Mfr Catalog # 1154087 � B&H Catalog # KOP160NC70Q $107

3. The only slide filme availabe is

EPR 70mm 100' Roll Ektachrome Professional Color Slide Film (ISO-64) 481 Type II Perforation USA

Mfr Catalog # 8513897 � B&H Catalog # KOEPR70100Q $280 per roll special order. It's a lot cheaper to buy slide film in 220 rolls than 70mm.

4. 70mm reels pop up all the time on ebay. They sell for about $50 - $75. Daylight Tanks are very hard to find. I made mine out of a large Omega print drum that I cut down. Works well. You could use 1/2 gallon rubber tanks and do every thing in the dark.

I'm down to my last 100' roll of Tri-X in my freezer. After it's gone I don't know what I will do for 70mm B&W.

Do the math. You get 6 15" rolls per 100' of film. That's about 420 frames. That's the same as 35 rolls of 120. With B&H selling HP5+ in 120 rolls for $2.15, the cost in 120 is $75.25. For 36 times the ammount you would spend $2,709 vs $4,140 for 36 100' rolls of 70mm Kodak Tri-X. 70mm would then cost $1400 more on a frame by frame basis. I'd take the $1400 and spend it on a trip to take pictures rather than 70mm film.

Anthony,

You wrote: "I have 2 70mm backs and I've never tried to "test" them. I'll take a look tonight and let you know what to do."

following: "1) The 70 mm back has a film-feeler lever that must be depressed by film when in actual use, or be taped down for test purposes. It is located on the inside wall of the shell, near the bottom, close to the front of the magazine."

Oh, ye of little faith... ;-)

hi everyone

thank you for all of your answers and suggestions.

I finally figure out how to test my 70mm film back. :)

thank you all :).

look like i will have to buy an A12 back instead of using 70mm film back because the film availability isn't that good.

thank you again

Olivier

Faith comes through! I mounted a 70mm back on my 2000 FC/M, REMOVED the insert, held down the feeler lever inside the back and tripped the shutter. It worked.

Back to film. If you can use color negative film then buy some Porta 160 NC and have fun! Make sure you have access to a lab who can process it and will retun your cassettes.

Hello Olivier. You will find b&w film on Ebay quite often, as it is/were used widely by military. A search on 70mm 9on the net may also bring You to sources of surplus film. However, as pointed out by others, 70mm color neg. is readily available. This is also the case with AGFA's line of aerial films. AGFA do not have the absurd minimum-quantity volume as Kodak often demands before processing an order, and AGFA's line of AVIPHOT Color negative, Aviphot PE1/PE3 200 asa color slide film (ordinary E6 processing) and AVIPHOT Pan 80 asa and 200 asa b&w films may solve Your trouble. Ask AGFA USA for info on distributor of AGFA aerial films, or buy directly from european headquarters (search for Aviphot on the net). Inexpensive developing reels can be bought for less than $$ 10 apiece..... This is very high quality plastic reels for 70mm x-ray films. Fits nicely in JOBO expert-size paper/single sheet-tanks. You find them at SULLINS inc.: http://www.sullinsndt.com/reels.htm These reels take 14' is about what You can put in your hasselblad 70mm cartrige. I have never used a loader for 7omm film: I just lock a pencil into one end of the core of the 70mm/15' cassette (taken out of the cassette), and winds on film from 150'spools (b&w aerial roll size) in the darkroom until on-wound film is just under the edge of the spool. I don't know the exact number of exp - being 60 or 65, but that have never been any trouble. I use 70mm in Mamiya RB-67 cassettes, in Rollei 6000 cassette for rollei 6006 and in AGIFLITE aerial camera. It is about as difficult as You make it to. Using AGFA & Kodak film, it's a lot cheaper than buying 120-rolls here, but in my use - using color-neg for aerials, the speed/number of frames pr. load is the important thing. I develope film myself (JOBO) for b& w, but at a pro lab for color. Any pro-labs doing medium-format duplicates usually have dev. facilities for 70mm as the MF-duplicating films is 70mm stuff. Dip & dunk processor also take 70mm with proper frames.

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Thor has an excellent answer frm where I thank him on the SULLINS info. I want to add: I am using the hasselblad 70mm backs, one with perforation wheel, one with modified wheel : O-ring in place of teeth for non perforated film. As BW film, I bought about 12 rolls of 70mm Plus X aero film, 500 ft rolls from NIGEL MCRAE in las Vegas thru Ebay. He advertises the film still regularly. AT 75 dollars for 500 feet, you cannot get any more economical than this, and the quality is great, at least for architecture & nature photos. I made some nude stuff which I like too. I believe he still has an ample supply. Just search for 70mm plus x in ebay Rgds Jukka vatanen ( Check my webpages

www.jukkavatanen.com

• 6 years later...

Hello, an 2009 update on the subject:

I am still using A LOT of 70mm stock in my Hasselblads and now on a custom made pinhole camera,

using mamiya 70mm back, The film of my choice is the AeroGraph plus-x described above . Ihave found a new source too: Maco photo products in Germany they have a great IR film: Pro 400S in 30 metre bulk packs and as well ORTHO 25, a very nice film for special purposes. I have now a website:

www.123Prolab.com for my B&W activities. I sell also these materials, if you cannot locate them elsewhere.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 years later...
<p>How is that o-ring mounted instead of the teeth which i have filed down? the wheel-holder-unit is rivited. On a second back -which is defective anyway i made the mistake-when filing it down, to have the whole part squeezed in my vice. now it cannot be used anymore since its warped, wheel not turning smooth anymore.</p><div>00dpgI-561775284.thumb.jpg.fcd9012886cfce2be5e642382dd9fc98.jpg</div>

<p>One turn of the film-advance-knob= 1 image but without counter..<br>

Yes its about using unperforated film.<br>

BTW: have a back which has its counter stuck at 20... OUFF! not worth repairing. If i only had known and asked the seller beforehand.<br>

nb: in The Hasselblad Manual -Wildi 1986 page 61 is said:the PIN © connected to the exposure counter. The pin is the second pin which is enganging donor-cartridge. It has no connection whatsoever its only holding the cartridge and does not turn. Statement not true in my opinion.<br>

About returning the counter to O:<br />"The return is activated by the littler pin over the film feeder."<br>

dont understand film feeder. Where is it, its not shown in sketch?<br>

"Both counters can be manually reset by turning the center knurled disc with the thumb. "<br>

I have done this now for the am back which is stuck at 20.<br>

Its for cutting part of the film and reset the amount of already shot images.<br>

I will open a new thread about 70mm-back manipulations. since it going to be complicated here. dont have a blad yet.</p>

• 10 months later...

Some news about my Hasselblad 70-back for unperforated 70mm film but

a) still have no Blad to test but have found out this:

since i broke the mechanisme to have access to the cog-wheel-filing down the dents-see image-i must let it be repaired and attached again. repairman must attach thin rubber-o-ring beforehand. i will let fototechnik wiese hamburg do this.