I had some slides scanned onto CD at the local Fuji lab. I tried

uploading some of the images but the files seem excessively large

(around 2300kB each). They also take <B>ages</B> to send as e-mail

attachments. Basically, in their present form they're pretty useless

to me.<P>I understand that I will need to reduce the file size

somehow, but how? Will I have to buy PhotoShop just for this?

You need to resample the image and save again with compression for it. You need some software to make this(i.e. photoshop, corel photopaint or some shareware you can download from internet).<br>

For better results, correct colors and levels first, resample the image (800 pixels in largest side of image), apply unsharp mask to improve sharpness and, if you wish, add some border.<br>

After all, save the image with JPEG format(for internet and share) with 70 or 80% compression, and the size of image will be around 100kb. The size will change for each image, images with low detail will be small than high detail, full color images.<br>

I hope this helps.<br>

Cheers

Just resize them with any photo editing program (many you can download, including the 30-day full trial version of Adobe Photoshop Elements). A good size is about 800 pixels wide, or less, depending on how big you want the picture on the monitor. When you save the resized version, also see if there's a way to set jpeg quality to "medium". That's more than good enough for email and web work, and it reduces the file size considerably (it really makes no difference at all in the quality of the photo on the web or email). In Photoshop Elements, it's easy. Just "Save for Web", and than set it in the dialog window that opens.

Check that there aren't any other sizes on the CD first-with the 'wizzard' type interfaces some of them have when you try to open them it's difficult to see what's on them.<BR>

DEFINTITELY don't buy photoshop or even elements just for that kind of job.There are many easier to use cheaper,or even free image editors around.The last time i got a photoCD done it had a small canon program with it.It was just the ticket for snapshots.Let me know if you have trouble finding a suitable program-this one is probably small enough to email to you.

what are the dimensions and resolution of the files? Images are measured by four

measured basically Height x Width x resolution (pixels per inch) x color depth ( 8 bit

per Red, Green & Blue channel--minimum for color; or higher: 12, 14 or 16 bit

depending on the scanner used). If you are just wanting to share the photos with

friends it maybe that the images you transmit can be lower in resolution, like at 72ppi

or 96ppi. <P>How to tell what size your image is: It is dead easy with any Adobe

Photoshop program and I suspect all of of Adobe's imitators. If you have Photoshop

or Photoshop Elements, open the image and choose "Image Size' in the drop down

"Image" menu. To see what difference changing any of the parameters will do simply

change them. So if your image is 5"x 7" @ 300ppi, change the resolution to 72ppi if

that is small enough, then use the "Save As" command (under "File") and save the

lower resolution image with a slightly different name. <P>There is one more variable

here which will effect the size of the image file: compression. JPEG is a compression

format. The lower the level (say 8 instead or 10 or 12) the smaller the image will be.

the problem is that when you start with a image that is in the JPEG format, change

some aspect of the image and save it again in the JPEG format you are re-

compressing

the compression. each time you do that you will throw out data.