So.....What do you have in your survival "kit?"

john_kasaian1

So I was in the woods,not lost but well off any trail. I'm on the ground with my Rolleiflex shooting a mushroom and up walks a ranger to tell me no professional photography is allowed. The tripod you know. Think how fast I would have been found if using my 8x10!

Up here in the Rockies, the best thing is to let at least one reliable person know where you are hiking. My number two is a portable first aid kit. Cut yourself and start to lose some of that necessary juice (blood) and you are going nowhere� even 50 feet to the vehicle. Hypothermia is the next major concern if lost so carrying a outer jacket in the backpack and taking a hat is a prime factor. I also usually take one of those mini space age silver blankets in the survival kit. Of course I have a fire starter, compass, knife, whistle and a variety of other light carrying things tucked into a very small (9 oz) survival kit but I really do not feel that this is necessary (except maybe the fire starter) if I was lost for 48 hours. I make the decision to carry the survival kit each time based upon where I am going.

Once again I stress that first-aid and protecting yourself from hypothermia (loss of body heat) is the number one thing for myself in my hiking areas. Hypothermia also has the nasty side effect of fogging your thinking very quickly and with poor judgment there is a very real possibility of hurting yourself or making things a lot worse.

As a final suggestion I would share with others not to be afraid of staying out all night if you are really lost and darkness is setting in. You are much, much safer by staying put in the dark and have a catnap or two than by wandering around. There is very little to fear from animals, as predators do not typically hunt during darkness. You will be surprised at how much improved your situation will look the next morning by the dawn of light. Patience and clear thinking are the best tools to have and I think most of you already have those. (at least LF Photographers :>)) )

Oh yeah �..If I have the blonde or brunette female companion with me�please�please�please� do NOT come looking for me. This is the way I wish to go to meet my maker.

Kind Regards,

...two sixpacks Bud light against dehydration, a bottle of Jack Daniels against infections, my Buck Survival Knife, a family pack Wrigley peppermint chewing gum, 200 pcs. Marlboro, a Zippo, two dozen condoms against the special seductions and my S&W .357 Magnum Mountain Hunter against those who try to bring me back in real life and my Linhof Super Technika V with the APO Symmar 5,6/100 and 20 rolls of Ektachrome E 200... Uuuuhh, what a dream! :-)

<b>Heavy caliber revolver against angry bear.</b><P>

If you shoot with LF cameras, you're a single-shot guy at heart, so leave the revolver behind and carry a TC Contender in .44 magnum. When facing a charging bear with that, you'll be much more careful in your shooting, just like with the camera!

Hi --

I just spent a couple of days with a wilderness survival and search and rescue type discussing what's in my pack -- and have a long history of outdoor adventures to draw on. I enjoy the humor of this thread - but this could become somewhat serious.

My humble opinions:

A pair of nylon gloves in case you have to save someone else and a bandana should be added to the list. They can be used as tourniquets (not recommended) and as ankle supports for sprains and to tie up splints -- Spare batteries for your lights - new - and tested to make sure they work.

I prefer a six inch folding saw over a knife. A good one can do (almost) everything a knife can do - plus cut limbs, firewood, etc.

Thinking ahead is always a good idea. SO take your thinking cap.

If you sprain or break your ankle don't take off your boots -- you won't get them back on. You'll probably wish you hadn't when you have to walk out without your shoes.

If you get bit by a rattlesnake -- as I understand it, it's probably better not to cut yourself and suck out the venom -- get to a doctor quickly. Most healthy adults survive snake bites -- The infection from cutting yourself right after getting bit -- might be bad to add to an already difficult problem.

If you have water - drink it - saving it makes it harder to carry and doesn't do you any good.

The mini-mag light is not a very good light (it is very tough - and weighs alot) -- I want a light that last about 120 hours - with a flashing mode -- and a light that lights things up so I can really see. Streamlight makes some great lights.

The best solution for getting lost is not to -- a map, gps and compass -- along with *knowing how to use them*, are the way to gaurentee not getting lost. A cell phone is great way to help yourself get found, but you can't rely on it if you are in a remote area, so a trip plan is essential.

If you get lost -- stay where you are. In a day you may be miles away and maybe still lost, but no one will be looking where you are, they will be looking where you were.

Happy trails

S

Snake Bite is an interesting topic and for me, a confusing one. Every year during first aid class, the treatment changed until finally a few years back they just said "get to a Doctor as quick as you can." Which is great advice, unless you're out in the middle of nowwhere and you're lost. It seems like running around in circles would get the poison going through you a lot faster. In the past, I've heard of a variety of different treatments, what is your favorite? I carry a Sawyer Kit(when I remember) which is a suction pump---the whole thing is about as big as a bar of soap---awhile back I actually had to use it on a 9 year old cousin who got stung by a bee. I can't say if it did or didn't "work" but the fact that someone was doing something(that makes a funny noise) seemed to calm him down from hysteria to a whine. The old tribal treatment on the Rancheria is to get into an icy stream until you can't take the cold anymore, get out and warm up, repeat...repeat...repeat. For dogs, they'd put a block of ice on the ground and the dogs would instinctively go to it, much the same way as humans in a stream. This assumes there is an cold stream or ice available. For horses, the vet told us to carry a 6" tube of garden hose and if ol' Dobbin was bit on the schnozzola to stick the hose up a nostril. Any thoughts??

Alan Davenport,

You right! I like singleshots (have owned couple Contenders and still have Encore in rifle caliber). But facing charging bear (these Finnish bears are big Brown Bears) with single shot! Situation like that I want revolver with caliber like .475 or .500 Linebaugh. OK. Now this forum is more like a hunting forum... :-)

Jari, even in Alaska, bears weren't much of a problem depending on your location though its prudent to be prepared if you are in "bear country"

In Watson Lake BC not that long ago, out by the airport, a lady driving along with her invalide husband stopped to take a photo of a Grizzly. The Grizzly started chasing her around the car while her husband sat helplessly inside. A passing bread truck driver stopped and his truck and began chasing the grizzly, I think waving a tire iron and shouting at it. The Griz gave up long enough for everyone to get back into thier vehicles and drive away. The Bear was still in the area, near where I was camping but fortunately I never ran into it.

Not long ago in Hyder AK, a bear that was making trouble in town was chased off. It returned that night and ate, yes ate, a man camped at a commercial campground in town.

A couple of years ago, I think it was in Churchill, a native man was killed by a polar bear(not a Chamber of Commerce sponsored event by any means!)

In our mandated airman's survival gear list we had to have a firearm and ammo, but this was because rescue up there could take weeks and firearm(along with fishing tackle) would enable us to live off the land. What type and caliber was, quite sensibly, left to the pilot and the guys I met usually carried either a .22 rifle(ammo is light wieght and is adequate for small game---if you start dragging a dead moose around you will attract bear & wolves) a cylinder choke shotgun(ammo heavier and bulky, but you can slip a slug into the chamber if you have to deal with a bear---downside is if you dent the barrel in the crash you're SOL unless you've also got a hacksaw) and .357, .41 & .44 Magnum revolvers which can be carried loaded. The idea being that if you're hurt and trapped inside the cockpit you become "canned bear food." The sound of a plane crash in Denali is like a dinner bell to the bears(so I've been told) Not much room in a cockpit to maneuver a rifle and you'd have a heck of a time loading and shooting one if you had a broken arm(which is quite likely in a plane crash)

In general though, unless you're camping on your own, your guide/pilot will have the "bear medicine" and will stand watch so you can go about your photography, fishing, or whatever it is you're up there paying dearly for. Even on highway work crews, there is one person delegated to "bear security" with a .375 H&H. IMHO, If you're venturing into an area where bears are a dangerous problem, having an extra set of eyes and ears along would be best.

In California, the bears are kinder and gentler. The rule of thumb is: if you can cover the bear with your thumb, you're close enough! Unless you get between a Sow and her cub, foolishly try to reclaim your Kelty pack(or tupperware of lasagna, or cooler of beer) from a curious bruin, or keep a messy camp there is little to fear. In fact, if a bear( california variety) does nab a cooler of beer, nnd you feel brave, set up your camera at a safe distance. Few things are more interesting than watching a bear drink beer out of a can! FWIW, I'd be more cautious of the homo sapiens in my neck of the woods. I don't know anything about bears anywhere else in the world but I do know they are pretty smart animals and if they see someone crazy enough to lug a field camera, tripod, holders, lenses, spotmeter, dark cloth, filter kit, and artillery they should wisely run in the other direction!

I have been told that in North America, more people die of bee stings in the wild than from any other animal, and after having a horse I was on stung by meat bees on the Granite Staircase west of Devil's Postpile National Monument I am inclined to believe it----"Check six" and keep your powder & tri-X dry, Pilgrim(wah-hah, wah-hah!)

<i>If you shoot with LF cameras, you're a single-shot guy at heart, so leave the revolver behind and carry a TC Contender in .44 magnum. When facing a charging bear with that, you'll be much more careful in your shooting, just like with the camera!</i><p>

Right idea, wrong caliber. I have the TC Contender in 454 caliber and at 50 yards with iron sights it is a tack driver. But then the thing with bullets would weight as much as the camera...lol....

Photo.Net deluxe membership: $25.<br>Decent large format camera and lenses: $1,500<br>Sharing photography-related survival tips with a bunch of like-minded goofballs: Priceless<p>

John K, your "Hasselblad" bear joke made me laugh out loud -- a true LOL.<p>

By the way, if anyone thinks they can outrun or outmaneuver a bear they're wrong. Bears can get up to 40mph and I've seen a video of one successfully outmaneuvering a rabbit. If you're in bear country, make your presence known (using cow bells and the like) so you won't have to decide if it's better to fight the charging bear mano-a-paw or play/be dead.

John, Good point! I'm not certain of the details of the Watson Lake marathon as it happened the day before I got into the area, except that somehow the Lady and the Bread Truck driver were able to get into thier vehicles at some point and make a getaway---I think it was in '91 or '92(50th anniversary of the Alaska Highway, as I recall.) If anyone is going up that way, there was(I hope still is) a great hamburger place called McWank's, not too far from the totem pole forest.--------Cheers!

Whenever I'm in bear country, I always take a companion, and I always make it a point to wear my best running shoes. Once, a friend asked me why I wore running shoes, as it was not likely that I'd be able to outrun a bear. I told him, I didn't need to outrun the bear, just him...

• 4 weeks later...

The answer about the bear is that you run downhill. They tend to slow down.

Sattelite phones are cool, but you might need to sell that 2 0z. 100" f/1 Rodenstock to get it. Yes, I mean the special Anniversary Theoretical Lens.

My most important item: a tracking device for my film backs. Just remember, it's easier to capture your last moments on rollfilm. And posthumous photos are big sellers.