New format style

jay_.

Interesting article in today's (Oct 16, 2003) Wall Street Journal on Google's "contextual advertising" (Google's name for the program that Photo.net is participating in). Yeah that's right, a 27 year old liberal reads the WSJ every day. Wanna' make something of it?

Anyway, from the tone of the article, the early reports from advertisers is that it doesn't work as well as they had hoped.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<i>The only thing that I think is a bother is the person's name being ahead of what they say.</i> Peter A.<p>

I agree with that - the name should come after the text, not before. Not all that big a deal, however.<p>

I also agree with the many who've said that it takes some gall to cough up so much black bile about ads, while not having coughed up a cent to support the site. Especially when one can, as in this case, obviously, easily afford to.

Somebody said: "Hey guys, lighten up. If the ad helps pay the freight for this very good forum, fine. If the ad is of no interest, just ignore it. That's what I do with some of the caustic comments that appear herein."

Here, here.

This is a fairly labor- and cost-intensive forum which uses a lot of bandwidth due to lots of images. It's hard as hell to earn money from ads on the Internet, and the Photo Net guys will never, ever get rich that way. If they can generate a bit of cash flow to help ensure that the site stays up, then we should all be happy for them.

i like it. i just wish there was an option to select the font style and size. this should be easy enough, since the site is using CSS...it's just a matter of adding that to the profiles database. oh, and make that a subscriber-only option.........let them non-subscribers bitch about the ads...cheapskates...ha-ha...

Dexter, the font family is whatever you have as browser default, as before. For the regular text font, everything else is the default also. For the poster byline, the size and the font family is the same as the text, but using the "small caps" variant, and changing the clor to dark blue. The heading font sizes are specified.

<p><b>An Exhustive Critique of New and Old Designs</b></p>

<p>Please follow this link <a

href="http://www.davidraycarson.com/photonet_critique/">

http://www.davidraycarson.com/photonet_critique/</a>

to see

my lengthy review (and beware of the large images).</p>

<p>I urge you to read the in-depth rationale I use to argue a

general return to the old photo.net layout.</p>

There are ways to block banners, pop-ups and even Flash ads. I'm sure the site owners take a dim view of such things but (a) I've made my donation and (b) I never clicked on the things when I could see them. Mozilla is a good start, and you can block Flash and banners by some judicious entries in your etc/hosts file (assuming you have Linux or a recent version of Windows).

<i>Jeff, I think you've accused Jay of worse if I recall correctly...?</i><p>

A bit late to respond to this bit of ..., but I've said nice things about Jay. I like his posts and he's been very helpful off the forum.<p>

However, even if I was accusing Jay of stuff, a) it wouldn't be a personal attack, and b) it wouldn't justify the constant personal attacks that seem to be made by several forum members.<p>

And on the topic...I didn't like the new look when I first saw it, but I've gotten used to it. <p>

By the way, there were people complaining (in the feedback forum, where this really belongs) a while back, i.e., before the change, that names should be at the top as in many other forum software programs. I really like the name display on this one, although it might not work well with photo posting: <a href="http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6451">Symbian Forums</a>.