Need advice on Backpack for Medium Format

kev

Hello everyone,

I am looking at getting a backpack for my photo gear when hiking. I

carry a Linoff 6x17, Hasselblad 2 back and 4 lenses. Also 35MM body

80-200 2.8, 17-35 2.8, 105 macro 1 flash, Gitzo 1410 Tripod and

accessories.

I was looking at the lowepro Pro Trekker AW or the Super Trekker AW.

I am about 5'8". I figure the pack will be about 40 pounds or so and

that is ok.

Currently I carry two shoulder bags and it is becomming a real pain.

Please advise as I am in the need or ordering within a day or two.

Thanks,

Kev

I have a LowePro Nature Trekker AW into which I put a Mamiya 645E with four lenses, a Nikon N90s with vertical grip and 28-70/2.8 and 50mm, SB28 speedlight, Sekonic Flash Master, Gossen Digisix, a Voigtlander Bessa R with two lenses and finder, and 30 rolls of 120 and 20 rolls of 35mm. It has a tripod holder but I don't use it. It weighs a lot but is very comfortable.

I had pretty good luck in all formats with an F64 backpack. It's not small but I don't think you're looking for a small one with that equipment. It was also comfortable for my 5'10" medium frame.

Mike

I never understood how anyone could buy a "camera" backpack. If you're backpacking you still need to carry all the same stuff as a backpacker without a camera: water, lunch, raingear. I used a lowe padded fannypack for my 35mm equipment and stuck it in my ordinary backpack when I was just marching somewhere, or buckled it on in front of me when I was walking and shooting.

For the stuff you're talking about, I would agree with previous posters about external frame packs. One for you and one for your BIG assistant.

I have never used dedicated photo day or backpacks for lugging around gear in the field. The reason is few have real space for non-photo gear and tend to be more expensive than general mountaineering or backpacking packs. One major difference between these two types of packs is that photo packs always are partitioned for expected camera and accessories. If one instead uses a non-photo pack, one needs to figure out the insulation and mechanical protection needs. There are certainly many ways to do it and most can be quite cheap. Even expected extra clothing can provide cushioning.

In my case field work is often in rugged areas and I also attach the pack to the back of my big Lowe backpack when in the backcountry. I always carry non-photo gear like clothing, food, and various small items. For my Pentax 67, I use a Black Diamond L36 Stone pack. It is a high quality 36 liter (2200 cu inch) unpartitioned climbers pack which is narrower and a bit longer than ordinary day packs. I've adapted it for carrying my big G1325MK2 on the back with side release buckles on webbing.