Feedback on old Canon 100-200 4.5 A zoom lens

maxasst

Any experience in use of this lens would be most appreciated,

particularly the limits of what is acceptable in its performance.

This would be used for general photography, outdoor portraits,

vacation snapshots where the 35-70 would not be enough for pictures

and to photograph the moon. Pictures may be enlarged to 8x10 when

composition is pleasing. I am putting together a budget system of

lenses, considering this. Is it a fixed aperture like the labeling

suggests? What does the "A" represent? Thank you.

Budget is right. Canon no longer markets any lenses with the "A" designation. I believe it stood for "Automatic" as these lenses had no manual focus mode, no distance scale and were made almost entirely of plastic. The "A" lenses were aimed at the snapshooter market and I doubt if pictures taken with them will hold up well when enlarged to 8x10.

If any of the above is incorrect, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Yeah no manual control (so they won't work on the EF-M) and zooming is done with buttons rather than turning a ring.

For ultra cheap tele zooms you may want to consider the 80-200 lenses. The USM one is pretty good, and optically a reasonable lens.

As for photographing the moon. You'll find you'll need a much longer lens to have the moon as anything more than a small circle in your photos.

I have a 100-200A and shoot with it ocassionally (mounted on a 1n or one of the versions of the Elan).It is a push pull zoom with no ability to manually focus which can be a problem. Optically, my copy is very good and yes it is 4.5 through its entire range. I use mine mostly for portaits and static subjects so I can take time to find were it will focus.It might be made of plastic,but, it is heavy freakin' plastic and a metal lens mount to boot.I wouldn't use it for snapshots of the kids because sometimes it just does't lock focus. If the price was right <$50 i would consider it if you take into account its limitations. I have heard that in the bargain basement Canon zooms the 70-210/4 is a pretty good performer in a lens that is nearing 20 years old. Best of luck with your putting together a bargain system.

>zooming is done with buttons rather than turning a ring

Actually you're thinking of the PZ (Power Zoom) lens, which was a 35-80, I think. The

A series lenses were manual zoom lenses with no manual focus - just autofocus.

Personally I think they're a bad idea. Inexpensive EOS cameras coupled with

inexpensive lenses don't always achieve focus very well, especially under challenging

conditions like low light. I'd always want the ability to focus manually as well.

Would using the Flash's (200E or 420EX) assist light place the focusing performance close to or at par with other (better) lenses like the 80-200 f4/5.6 (when also used with the assist light).

Thanks for the useful feedback, everyone. It sounds like if I took several pictures using the 100-200 4.5 A lens or my 28-105mm f3.5/4.5 lens on the same roll, I would distinctly see the disappointing differences in quality of the pictures. Thanks for steering me away from this. I wanted to put together a cheap rig for using at the beach which this lens might still fulfill, but dusk or night photography attempts would likely leave me frustrated since there is no manual focus.

• 3 months later...

<p><i>Would using the Flash's (200E or 420EX) assist light place the focusing performance close to or at par with other (better) lenses like the 80-200 f4/5.6 (when also used with the assist light). </i></p>

<p>I would say yes, but I have to check when I get home to be 100% sure. One pecularity of this lens is that it will extend itself when leaned to the ground. My lens has a somewhat bad color rendition and contrast is is uncomparable even with the kit 28-80 non-USM. There is probably too much light loss inside as the coating is intact. However, b/w pictures come out with excellent sharpness and are closer in quality to my 50 1.8 Mk II that to the kit zoom.</p>

• 1 year later...