Kiev 60 for astrophotography?

vince_farnsworth1

I saw a new Kiev 60 (actually KNEB or similar was printed on the front of the camera) and it looked like an interesting possibility for long exposure astrophotography. It is fully manual and a cable release may be used in "B" for long exposures without a battery (unlike the Pentax 67, e.g.). It came with a metering TTL prism, a waste-level finder, two filters, a lens hood and a lens. It cost $495.00. This sounds too good. I have read that the 60 is much better than the 88 and, at least with the 88, that one should get a camera with "KIEV" in capital letters on the front to ensure the best "quality." Is this also true of the Kiev 60? Are there going to be film flatness issues? Obviously, for astrophotography, usage would be relatively light. Thanks for any help with this.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
I have used my Kiev 88 in astrophotography. I was mostly after large patches of the sky. I used the normal lens on a tripod. I did not try it for a guided shot on the telescope. I covered the camera lens with a piece of cardboard, held the shutter open with a cable release, and then moved the cardboard out of the way for the exposure. I belive this is called the "old hat trick."

• 4 years later...