Which flash

jamiew

I have a question that is 50% related to Canon EOS =). Basically I

was just given a Canon G3 digital camera and I need an external

flash. I am currently a Nikon user so I am not familiar with the

canon flash system, and do not want to spend money on a flash that

just gives me features that my camera can not use. The manual says

the camera is compatable with the 220EX, 380EX, 420EX and 550EX.

based on what I have read I am not sure I want to 220EX, but dont

know the difference between the 380EX, 420EX ad 550EX. Can anyone

help me out here? Does anyone have any experience with this camera?

As you probably know, the 220EX is the simplest and least featured and the 550EX is the most powerful and most featured. All EX Speedlites support the E-TTL system and are the only ones compatible with Canon digital cameras.

The Canon Speedlites are usually designed in conjunction with a specific EOS camera model and introduced with the specific models. The one feature that matches the specific camera model is the coverage of the AF assist illuminator to aid focusing in dim light. Different camera models have a different number of focusing points and they are arrayed differently.

The 420EX was introduced with the EOS-7/7A. It is auto only and has no manual mode but does support the E-TTL multi-flash wireless system, which I don't think you can use on a G3. The 550EX was introduced with the EOS-3 and also is compatible with the EOS-1V, 1D and 1Ds 45-point area focusing system. It supports every flash feature including 2nd curtain sync, flash bracketing, high speed flash (FP flash), etc., depending on the camera with which it is used.

Unless you need the maximum power provided by the 550EX, I would go with the 380EX or 420EX. The 220EX is too wimpy.