7/1 Ratings

solja

It's been my understanding that in order to leave a 7 or a 1 rating,

you must leave a comment. Is this still the rule?

If so, a most odd thing has happened. Check out the ratings here:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/ratings_breakdown?photo_id=1624489

Notice Susan Max - she rated the photo a 7 in originality and a 1 in

aesthetics. Though the ratings are a little weird, I'm more concerned

that she didn't have to leave comments to rate either way. Did the

policy change or did she just find a loophole?

Dunno, Jason, I looked at the photo and could readily understand why someone might rate it that way. Perhaps she thought it was a very original photo but she doesn't like photos of bugs.

Also, I don't see the rating in question. Was it removed after you complained about it? If so, wouldn't that invalidate the process just as much as her original rating did?

Just a thought.

Lex,

<p>

I too totally understood why someone would rate a 7 in aesthetics and 1 in originality. Like you said, she could have thought the photo was technically excellent, but thinks bugs are aesthetically displeasing, I don't contest that.

<p>

My only concern was that both an excellent and very poor rating were left without comment, which I thought was still a requirement for such ratings. I've been out of the loop here for a while, so I didn't really know that rule had been changed. Now that I know, it's no problem - I thought there was a flaw or loophole in the code or something. Since now I know the rule has been changed, my original question is moot.

<p>

I don't know why the person retracted their rating. I wasn't complaining about it, I didn't go revenge rate her or leave a bad comment or anything. I'm sorry if the person read this post and decided to retract their rating, that wasn't my intent and I agree that it does defeat the purpose of a rating system if she retracted after interpreting my question as a complaint. The rating <i>was</i> weird, personally I've never seen a rating like that before. But I didn't mean that to be taken badly or to say I didn't agree with the rating.

<p>

Oh well... I wouldn't mind if the old rule of commenting on 7 or 1 ratings was reinstituted, but I don't care either way. A rating is a rating, I care more about what people type. :)

<p>

Thanks,