Hasselblad 903SWC question

martin_f._melhus

I'm interested in really wide angle lenses. Many systems stop at a 50mm lens (6x7); a few go to 40mm, but the price goes way up. Then there's the SWC cameras. I've seen an older used one for $1300, which isn't cheap but is not unreasonable.

<p>

Despite all this, and about 100 posts in the Hasie section here, no-one is talking about the SWC and its cousins. Why is this?

Is it unpopular because it has a fixed lens? Or does it have reliability problems? Any comments or opinions out there?

<p>

I have a K-O Rapid M, and have just bought a 58mm lens. But I still can't help thinking that I'd like to be able to go wider (but I don't like fisheyes, except for special effects.)

<p>

Regards,

Hi everybody, this will be a very short statement based on many years of experience with a SWC/M (actually a SWC from 1965 upgraded to SWC/M in 1985 to accept polback).

<p>

This camera is the most perfect camera ever made.

<p>

This said, one have to get used to the viewfinder an the focusscreen adapter. Ones comfortable with the camera and its relatively light weight, you never leav your home without it. It is very sharp, with no distortion, an indeed reliable I have bought it used for 10 years ago an it have never failed. However, on has to bare in mind that we are talking about a mechanical tool, which has to be maintained and serviced from time to time (for my part one every 5 years).

<p>

So if you love wideangle you wound be disappointed with the SWC.

<p>

Best regards

<p>

Kim

I have been using SWCs for over twenty years, and in all that time have only experienced one problem, an occasion when I had a sticking shutter � and that was probably due to a grain of sand after using the camera on a crowded beach! Other than that, they have been absolutely wonderful. With regard to the 38mm Biogon, I have never used any other MF wide angle lens that is as wide, so superbly corrected for linearity, or as sharp.

<p>

It is a small comfortable camera to hold and operate, with an extremely accurate shoe mounted optical viewfinder. On the SWC and SWC/M this also incorporates a built in prism which is positioned over a spirit level mounted on the top of the camera body.

A quick glance to one side of the viewfinder checks that you are holding the camera level. (There is a modified viewfinder supplied with the later cameras which includes its own level indicator.) This is a great help when photographing tall buldings, as you really must keep the camera perfectly vertical to avoid any distortion. If you are really fussy you can stick it on a tripod, remove the back, and slap on an adaptor with a viewfinder screen and focus like a LF studio camera.

<p>

The lens has amazing depth of field: in bright sunny weather you can set it at 125th at f11 using 100 ASA/ISO film, and with the focus mark set on about 10 feet, everything will be in focus from about four feet to next week.

<p>

Couple the above with the convenience of interchangeable film backs, and you have the ideal MF camera for hand-held wide angle location work. And you know, without worrying, that you'll bring home the goodies.

<p>

Someone once remarked whilst watching me use it on a shoot - "That's an interesting looking box camera you got there, son".

<p>

I choked silently.

<p>

Yes, I thought, a box camera with attitude.

<p>

Regards,

<p>

Clive

• 2 weeks later...
I bought a used 903 SWC about a month ago and love it. It's very handy and ultrasharp. I am not bothered by the viewfinder, cause I am used to work with rangefinder cameras anyway. The bubble projected into the viewfinder really helps to keep te camera straight for architectural shots. You can crop the bottom off the negative and will get the equivalent of a 645 image with significant shift for perspective control. It's also great for nature if you want to include foreground because of the depth of sharpness.

• 9 months later...

Hi Martin, I bought my SWC three years ago while starving on a remote

island on a documentary project. I had to sell one of my Nikons to

make the move however I have never looked back or regretted the move.

The SWC is compact, reliable fast to operate and incredibly sharp.

It's small size makes it suitable for handheld documentary photography

as well as being a great portrait camera.It is the one camera in my

working kit that I would cry about if I lost it!

The camera totally versatile. Buy it!

( Where I live in New Zealand there is a waiting list of people at the

local camera store wanting to buy SWC's ).

• 10 months later...
I have a wonderful array of cameras in my closet. These include a view camera with 3 modern lenses, 2 Fuji rangefinders, and 2 good TLRS. The best prints that I produce year after year are from my Super Wide C. That lens is so darn sharp and the camera is easy to use. Especially after I learned to take the time to level it it,I get consistently nice pics. Every photographer should have the opportunity to try one! Paul Minkus