Where can I get the cheapest 24-120VR in NewYork

david_clark10

Calling all New Yorkers - Hello, I need a really big favour... I am

going to New York for a couple of days next week and want to know

where the best / cheapest place to go for a Nikon 24-120 VR ED G is?

I have been told that I can get it a lot cheaper than in the UK where

it retails for about £450.00. Is this true and if so where should I

go. Would greatly appreciate the help.

Cheers David C

David, pay B&H Photo Video a visit. They are at 420 Ninth Avenue, not far from Penn Station. They are closed on Friday afternoons and Saturdays. Check their web site for additional info: www.bhphotovideo.com. You'll be amazed how big this store is. When I used to live near New York I went there every month and still buy most of my photo supplies there.

Chuck's alternative is cheaper but your visit to New York might end up being longer and you'll have an opportunity to visit the jails in the US. :-)

Depending on what you expect, the cheapest may not be the best. You will do

yourself a favor by locating the lens online ahead of time, as it's out of stock in many

places. By contacting a source that does have it in stock, you ma be able to go ahead

and buy it, to be picked up upon your arrival, or perhaps put a hold on it. The

chances of finding one by running around the city are a crap shoot. B&H sells the lens

for $569.95 US, and the grey market version for $10.00 less. However, the USA

version is out of stock, and the grey market version is a special order item. In other

words, they are hard to find just by walking into a store.

No, not B&H, for the answer mentioned above. If you come here expecting to pick up that lens at B&H, you'll be disappointed, since it's out of stock. I'm think it's out of stock at Adorama too. Those are the two highly recommended stores. Take a look at the neighbor to neighbor section of photo.net before shopping at other places. Some stores here are notorious, though probably slightly safer to deal with in person.

cheers for the info B&H seems very highly regarded will pay them a visit, but have checked their website and it is definitely out of stock. Not sure whats going on with this lens. One company in the UK have got loads of them and they were at a very good price last month and I should have grabbed one. But all of a sudden its gone up by over £200 which makes me wonder if there original price was wrong? Another company (the biggest in the UK - almost, has never heard of it?? Sorry really don't want to start another long thread but would the old 24-120D be just as good?

Any 24-120 zoom is a 5x zoom from wide to tele. If you are critical about optical quality, neither version will please you. I have looked thru the viewfinder with my friend's 24-120 VR and there is obvious barrel distortion on the 24mm end. The new lens has AF-S and VR. Those are the main selling points.

I recommend clicking the links of either B&H or Adorama here in Photo.net. This way you will also support this great site. B&H or Adorama may not be the cheapest (but they are cheap nevertheless) but they are very honest. If you will encounter later some problems, someone will listen. On my experience with them I can say nothing but praises.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.