and transfer the file to harddrive for editing later then continue to

save in same format you lose something in the quality? with each new

save?

If I am understanding this correctly, and this is a big IF, then why

not shoot all in tiff format? Wouldn't this format serve to preserve

the quality no matter how often you wish to edit and then save in new

edited version as .jpeg?

Did we follow my path of logic?

Or, is there more to this that I am missing?

Thanks! TC

In terms of quality, I've found RAW to be the best option, followed by TIFF, and then a low-compression JPEG. I've also found that JPEGS look much better on natural subjects than manufactured ones that have straight lines.<P>One worthwhile option is to shoot in JPEG, load them on to the computer and then immediately batch-convert them to TIFF. This way there will be no quality loss when re-saving your files.<br>Hope this helps

The problem with using Tiff for the camera shot is write times. My digicam (Sony DCS-V1) takes approximately 25 seconds to write a Tiff file to the memory stick and the file size is approx. 15 megabites. Jpgs are almost instantaneous and use up about 2.2 megabites in fine mode. Once loaded onto the computer I convert to Tiff.

When the 717 is in tiff mode it records a tiff file and a jpeg.

I took a tiff shot, put both it and the jpeg on photo shop and zoomed in, equally on both images, I quit at about 500% because I could see no difference.

I was shooting from a tripod, viewing on a Cybervision monitor (???Quality I like it).Try it--You might want to judge this for yourself.

I now only shoot jpegs.---Roy

Thanks Garry for your quick response to my query, also. All of the input I am receiving is so very helpful to me. I am soaking it up like a sponge. What I learn from those who have on the job experience, so to speak, means a great deal to me. Most people on Photo.net are professional and well educated in this field. I value what I am told and take it to heart. Hopefully, one day, you will see what I learn in print. Would be nice.

Thank you as well, Rob. I see I will have much experimenting to do this weekend. Maybe I'll get one really good photo out of my playing. I may even do a learning upload with one and edit it based on comments from the wiser more experienced who would enjoy the tuitoring. An on line class, if you may. Or, maybe people will nip that idea before it gets off the ground. Again, thanks for input.