50 Summilux Hood

jfm

Hello,

Can you tell me which lens hood will fit a 50 mm Summilux 1.4? This is the chrome

version (with scalloped focusing ring), serial number 2198868. I know that the

original is the XIOOM, which I am having a hard time finding. Are there any other

hoods that will fit? Also, can you advise on filter size/brands???

best,

Jeffrey

jeffrey,

when i bought that lens, the seller was also offering the matching lens hood. he wanted $100 extra for just the hood! i kindly declined and took just the lens...not even a back cap. i don't know if $100 is over priced, but to me, it was a little steep. if you're interested let me know and i can pick it up for you.

Per Leica Catalog #36, the 50mm Summilux hood of that time is called XOOIM or #12,521 and was flared. The later hood is # 12586 had cutouts to lessen finder blocking. Either of them will work fine on a E-43 50mm Summilux. Regarding price, I am amazed at the prices of these hoods especially th XOOIM and I'm not sure that $100 is way off the mark in these collector times. Alternatives include almost any E-43 screw-in hood. Also although the price may be no better, the hood for 50mm Nikkor f1.4 either Nikon RF or Leica LTM mount is OK. This gives you something to look for. I beleive for best results the later Leica hood is the best one for shading and may be the easiest to find but not at price you'll be happy with. Good hunting!