held shots. I have 3 questions... the first is 1)will I sacrifice

much picture quality if I go from 200 speed to 400 speed and my

second question is: 2)in anyone's opinion which film gives nicer

pictures: Fujifilm Superia or Kodak Royal Gold, and 3)does anyone

know if one 'lasts' longer than the other. I have heard that some of

the professional film you must get it develped right away. Does one

of these stay safe, undeveloped longer than the other. Thanks for

all your help!!

1: In my observations the difference between 200 and 400 speed print film is very slight if any when comparing grain and colour.

2: I prefer Royal Gold over Superia at the 400 speed. I find the red spectrum in Superia a bit dull. This can be advantage to Superia in some cases as it flesh tones appear more natural. Overall my film of choice is currently Kodak Portra UC 400. I can't say anything bad about it! I would use it almost exclusively other than it's cost compared to Royal Gold (local independent foto shop gives a good deal on Royal Gold with processing included). I would also like to compare UC 400 back to back to NPH 400 (comments?).

For low light where a flash is annoying or not practical, I have been quite happy with Superia 800. I havent been happy with any 800 speed Kodak films. Any comments on Fuji NPZ 800 compared to Superia?

3. Pro films are manufactured to tighter tolerances and shipped closer to their "optimum" colour balance. There are intended to be refrigerated and processed shortly after exposure. Consumer films are shipped earlier and as such have a much longer shelf. It is always good ideas to process film regardless of the type as soon as possibe but left regfrigerated in a sealed container exposed film can last quite a while before processing. During extended vacations it has been a month until I have had exposed film processed with no ill effects if properly stored.

Hope this helps.

Shaun

Hi there

I have been on the phone with Kodak - and you are under no obligation to have to 'belive' me; "at 400 ISO, color accuracy starts being sacrificied - at 800, it is mostly gone..." this is what I got from the available technical expert and there was no warning about the conversation being recorded!

Now, this is not the authoritative, final word on the subject. I think that the chemical formulas of these films are rather unpredictable due to production inconsistencies - you really need to do a good search on the topic on photo.net to find out more

Ciao

I don't think Royal Gold is being manufactured any more. Royal Supra does exist many parts of the world. I think there is a clear difference in grain between the 200 and 400 of this particular film. I prefer it to Superia although I haven't used the latter in several years.

It used to be so that 200 and 400 speed films had similar grain, and 100 was required to get a significant edge in image quality. This seems to be changing.

I can not buy any more Royal Gold 400, at least in Hong Kong. It is said to be replaced by the Max 400, which is the film that I always avoid, after having real bad experience with it.

Supera 400 is far more better than the Max 400. You may try the NPH400. It is a PRO film from Fuji. I tried it once and the result was pleasing.