Nikon Bellows Model 2 - OK on D100 and F90X and AF lens??

tim_sewell

Can anyone knowledgable clarify for me whether the Model 2 bellows

unit (very old, made for the F in 1968 or so?) is safe for use on a

D100 and F90X and for AF Nikkors?

I cannot find any reference in either camera manual to tell me that

it cannot (/should not) be used, but the lists of incompatible

accessories have some subtleties which escape my understanding

altogether.

For example, the D100 manual clearly says that K1 and K2

rings "CANNOT be used", while the F90X manual says that the

K2 "cannot be used" on the body, and the K1 "cannot be mounted

directly on AF Nikkor lenses". (Perhaps the D100 manual is merely

assuming that all attached lenses are going to be AF Nikkors??).

I can't give you a definitive answer, but I can tell you the area to watch out for is the electronic contacts on both ends. You want to make sure the old bellows isn't rubbing on the Camera's contacts, and you want to make sure that the AF lens isn't grinding the contacts on the bellows.

There are other more esoteric issues for mounting very old lenses on newer bodies (besides AI) having to do with clearances in the lens throat area, but with a bellows, I think it's all about the contacts.

I have a PB-6 and have had problems mounting it on both F90x and D100 due to the hand grip. I was also concerned about the contacts.

The solution I found to work OK is to use an extension ring (PK-13 in my case) between the camera body and the bellows. Tried it on both F90x and D100 and it works great.

The PB-6, (PK-11a, 12 and 13) and the PN-11 are mentioned in the table on page 177 in your D100 manual and they are not in the list of No, Nos on page 176.

If you have not done so already pickup a copy of the D100 manual at the new "Nikon European URL Link, Product Finder" about half way down the "New Questions" in this Nikon Forum. I found these pages by using "Find�" in Acrobat Reader 5.1.

Regards,

Thanks for the responses.

Todd - this is an e-bay item that I am considering - sadly I cannot check the clearances without buying it. Maybe I will be outbid, and my query will have been entirely academic anyway.

Yossi, David - I understand that the Model 2 was the very first bellows unit made for the Nikon F (Model 1 being for the rangefinder camera). Hence I am hesitant to treat the info on the more recent PB-6 as applying to the model 2. (And yes David, I am an avid reader of the D100 manual :-))

I have come to a conclusion, which tells me that the model 2 bellows unit would probably NOT be acceptable were I to try to attach it directly to either the F90X or the D100. Though as Yossi has found with the PB-6, it will probably be OK if used with one of the acceptable extension rings.

My logic goes like this:

1. The Model 2 bellows had to be updated to the 2A to make it fit the Photomic viewfinder.

2. I bought a Nikon F with Photomic viewfinder in 1964.

3. As far as I can see, the first AI lens was introduced in about 1977.

4. There is a blanket ban on using non-AI lenses on the D100 and the F90X.

5. If the model 2 bellows pre-dated AI lenses by more than 13 years, the bayonet fitting on the bellows is likely to be just as unacceptable to the F90X and D100 as all the non-AI lenses.

Conclusion - I will still bid for the e-bay item, but will probably need to find a PK13 or other OK extension ring if I am successful.

Again, thanks for your help along the way.

<em>"And yes David, I am an avid reader of the D100

manual" --TS<br>

</em><br>

But do you have the PDF version now available? Sometimes I know

information is in a manual but I cant find it. With the

proper version of Adobe Acrobat Reader there are several ways to

scan a PDF for that information. Just a few days ago I finally

obtained a PDF for my F5. If you dont have one for your D100

you might like to get one.<br>

<br>

<em>"Hence I am hesitant to treat the info on the more

recent PB-6 as applying to the model" --TS<br>

</em><br>

I hope my post didnt seem to imply that the Model 2 is safe

because the PB-6 is. I wouldnt try the Model 2 without

specific knowledge of its safety. Since one cant see whats

happening inside the camera Id be very inclined to bid on a

known safe accessory, PB-6, or PK-12 or 13 to go with the Model 2.<br>

<br>

Any reason youre not considering the PB-4 or PB-5 bellows?

KEH.com has the PB-5 EX+ for $72.00 and EX for $69.00 if price is

a problem. The PB-4 is a very nice unit if a couple of hundred

dollars is OK. The PB-4 has some DOF controls. Its heavy

and mass equals inertia, a good thing for macro. I would guess

the PB-4 is safe for the F90x as its safe for the F4 (at least

I used mine with an F4). Id use a short safe tube for the D100.

YMMV<br>

<br>

If you are doing macro in the field Id recommend tubes, a

PK-13 and PN-11 to start with instead of a bellows unit. There is

also the Kenko Auto Tube set for Nikon AF to consider (12, 20 and

36mm).<br>

<br>

You've got lots of options. Have fun!

David,

I had missed the subtlety of your suggestion about the downloaded pdf manual, and had read that as a tactful way of suggesting that perhaps I could no longer find my own hard copy. I will now download the pdf as soon as I have completed this post.

Your latest lengthy response now has me feeling VERY embarrassed, and what follows is written as an apology for inducing you to spend so much thought on a matter which never deserved it. I really ought to have clarified the basic reason for my original query.

When I posted, there was a model 2 bellows unit being offered on e-bay Australia, with a highest bid at the time of Aus$12.50 (probably about the price of a good hot-dog in USA ?). I have always been an enthusiast (read "sucker") for a good bargain, but retain the conservative caution developed over a lifetime as a bridge/structural design engineer. Particularly the concept of "when in doubt - ask".

I already have a set of K-rings and a Kenko 20mm auto ring (both bought on e-bay at pretty good prices, and both yet to see real action), and I cannot really see that I have a need for a bellows unit at all. But a price ticket of $12.50 was there, flashing in red inside my cranium. Now, however, my self-inflicted 'problem' has been solved. The high bid has risen to $47-50 (well above my 'too good to miss' price), with bidding hotting up, and 5 hours to go. I fully expect the price to get close to $100, but I will not be bidding.

Now I really must stop browsing e-bay, and take your advice to get out with some of this gear and "have fun".

Thanks again for your input.