Velvia 100 M Images?

Do you mean Provia (ASA 100) or Velvia (ASA 50) pushed to 100? I've been using

Provia in a Leica III and an M3. All I can really tell you is that it's a very responsive film

despite its wide latitude (for a transparency emulsion), with excellent grain. I suspect

that's true regardless of the camera you run it through!

Asher and Fred - Fuji has come out with a Velvia 100. It was reviewed in Shutterbug a couple of months ago. I believe Dr Knapp used some on a recent trip and was highly impressed. Go to the archives. Apparently, the first impressions are positive - - except that it isn't a film for portraits. Not as saturated as Velvia 50 when shot at 100.

Fred, the Velvia 100 is amazing. I used it on a recent trip to

Scotland and it was outstanding in both rain and sunshine.

Forget Provia 100 or Velvia 50. As far as the rating, I was very

happy with 100 and feel that a rating of 80 may result in a tad

less saturation, but this is in the realm of personal

preference/taste.

I haven't shot the two side by side, but my impression is that the new Vwnlia 100F is less saturated than the old ISO 50 version.

<p>

You can see some Velvia 100F ahots taken with my M6 at...

<p>

<a href="http://www.steveunsworth.co.uk/Albums/Indre_aug_2003_colour/pages/03CR00902.htm"> here</a>

<a href="http://www.steveunsworth.co.uk/Albums/Indre_aug_2003_colour/pages/03CR00903.htm"> here</a>

<a href="http://www.steveunsworth.co.uk/Albums/Indre_aug_2003_colour/pages/03CR00905.htm"> here</a>

and

<a href="http://www.steveunsworth.co.uk/Albums/Indre_aug_2003_colour/pages/03CR00906.htm">here</a>

<p>

regards

<p>

Steve

As nice as these shots are, for real saturation, you need a polarising filter. In

the last photo, you can see the highlights blown are out. This, of course, is not

the photographer's fault, it is just how it is, particularly with transparency film.

The shot would translate very well into black and white precisely because of

the contrast range.

Sorry but a Leica SLR with a polariser would build the saturation up

substantially and reduce the highlight blowout (if that is what you want). Oh

yes, a Canon SLR + polariser would also be OK.

<<Sorry but a Leica SLR with a polariser would build the saturation up substantially and reduce the highlight blowout >>

And an R8/9 would scratch some nice texture into the back of the film stock too ;>)

The nice thing about Velvia 50 is that you *don't* need a polarizer to saturate color, a nice thing when shooting in overcast or haze when you don't want to lose the speed, or with an M where a polarizer is an expensive PITA.

One would never expect saturation by downrating a slide film. Underexposure increases saturation, I normally shoot Elite-II (yes, I know it was discontinued years ago, I bought a freezer full when Costco closed it out)at EI 125 for this reason.

My excitement over Velvia 100 is tempered by the nagging suspicion it is simply slightly-tweaked Provia 100 and heralds the imminent discontinuation of the real Velvia. Perhaps Fuji is a little more subtle than Kodak in "consolidating" its product line as the demise of film progresses slowly but surely.

Velvia 100 is sold only in the Japanese market and is a faster version of classical Velvia (i.e., super saturated colors and velvety blacks.) Velvia 100F, i.e., the stock sold in the US, is supposed to be a new emulsion with finer grain technology in keeping with the F designation. Velvia 100F bears little resemblance with Velvia classic other than in the name. If product consolidation is the name of the game, the film that might face "early retirement" is in fact Provia 100F, not Velvia classic.