Quick Release Plate for Mamiya 645

tom_thurston

I have a Mamiya 645 Pro and Arca Swiss B1. The problem is that I can't seem to get a quick release plate that fits correctly. I first ordered an Arca Swiss generic medium format plate. It has a nice snug fit, but does not use the registration pin holes, so he camera tends to twist when I shoot in portrait format.

Next I ordered a Kirk Mamiya plate. It's quite nice. It uses registration pins holes, so it doesn't twist. The problem is the bottom of the Mamiya 645 doesn't fit snuggly against the plate. There's a small gap at the front. I think this is partly because the bottom of the Mamiya is slightly curved, and partly because the door for the battery is right under where the right front corner of the plate fits, and so it has nothing firm to "snug" itself against. Because of this gap, there's a little play between the camera body and the quick release plate. This is most noticable when I mount the camera and push down on the top front of a long lens. I can see quite a bit of movement.

I

Part of my message was truncated. This is a continuation.

I have RRS's catalog, and they list the same plate as working for the Mamiya RB, RZ, and 645. Based on my experience with the Kirk plate, I doubt that a plate that is optimal for the RB or RZ (that are completely flat on the bottom) will work well for the 645 Pro. It may work well for older 645 models, which were less curvy than the 645 Pro.

I also note that my B&H catalog lists Arca, Foba, and Graf plates that they say are for Mamiya (I presume RB, RZ, or 645).

Has anyone besides me actually tried these plates on a Mamiya 645 Pro? When I called Kirk to ask about my problem, it sounded like they hadn't tried, but just assumed it would work. Then they borrowed a 645 Pro, confirmed that it had the problem I reported, and said they'd come up with a new plate, which they now say they cannot manufacture.

So what should I do? (I realize one obvious answer is to get a new camera body. The Mamiya 645 E and 645 AF both seem to have a much b

Buy the RRS plate as advertised in the catalog. I've used M645, RZ and M7 RRS plates and they work. If you read the catalog you will see how well it's all thought out, call Brian at RRS and explain your problem. He's available to answer questions.

I too got the runaround buying Arca Swiss plates specially designed for the 645Pro, but when I showed the dealer how bad they were designed he returned my money. That was in NYC by the way where

refunds are a little difficult to come by. I've used RRS plates ever since with no complaints.