What is the 'Smallest Folding'/Lightest/most Compact tripod?

lynnwood42

Question, I am somewhat of a beginner and was wondering in everyone's

opinion what is the SMALLEST FOLDING, lightest and most compact

tripod available, (reasonably priced). Since I am a beginner....I am

still not sure if I really 'want' to carry the tripod around, but if

it was extra light and small, I would be more apt to bring it with

me! Help!!

I would recommend the Velbon MAXi 343E. I'm going to be buying it myself next week. I also have the Bogen 3021BPro, which is simply too heavy for me to hike with. I'm not sure if the 343E is THE smallest folding, lightest, and most compact of all tripods, but it folds down to 18", weighs 2 pounds (with the ball head it comes with), and extends to a good height without extending the center column - 52.7" (not sure if that's an issue at all). Plus, if you buy it from an authorized dealer in the US, there's a lifetime warranty. For only $70 at B&H, that's a steal!

You may not want a tripod at all. A bean-bag with a 1/4" screw is available at B&H for about $15. It's light and effective. I carry one while traveling in case tripods are not allowed. I have some sharp pix of stained glass I wouldn't have otherwise.

A cheap, light tripod is not likely to be effective in getting sharp pictures, and may not hold the camera safely. In general, you can pick any two attributes: cheap, light and effective. The Tilt-All and Slik 700DX are highly effective and relatively cheap. A Gitzo 1228 is light and nearly as effective as the first two, but not cheap.

Tripods are like other photo gear -- don't buy it till you figure out whether it does

what you want to accomplish. If your main criterion is something easy to carry,

then go for a tabletop tripod that opens up to six inches or so and lets you set

or brace your camera on rocks and vertical surfaces. If you want a sturdy

support for working at waist or eye level, you probably need something that

folds down to no less than 24 inches or so. Some of the new materials are

pretty light, but they still take up some space. If you go too flimsy, you'll have to

wait for the camera to stop jiggling after each shot before shooting again.

Rather than look for the smallest, lightest, most compact tripod available you should be looking for the proper tripod to hold your camera steady at the height you want, in whatever wind you're likely to be out in, balancing the biggest camera/lens combo you'll likely use, and able to dampen out the vibrations of the mirror and shutter movements of your camera. Then hang your camera bag on the tripod for additional weight and stability. Get a shoulder strap to carry the tripod. Maybe not the answer you wanted, but better than wasting money on a tripod that doesn't do the job. The itty-bitty tripod is the classic beginners' mistake. Or follow others' advice to get a beanbag or quality table-top tripod such as the one Leica makes. Don't skimp on the head either! Probably the best line of tripods overall are the ones made by Gitzo (pronounced JEE'tzo)and they hold their value. Keep one for 10 years and you can most likely sell it for more than you paid. Cheap 'pods are money out the window.

Addind a little to what Al has said, my first tripod was a hand-me-down from my father. It was only 10 inches long and would extend to about 4 feet. It was a complete bunch of junk. It took forever to set up, it had these little 'sprongs' that poked into place that were hard to close up and because it had so many segments it was very wobbly.

So you need to know what your equipment needs are. If it is a small digital, compact or small 35mm with short lenses the Velborne tripods noted above are a good choice. Also look for one with a good quick release system (Place the camera on the tripod, see if it is secure and see if there is any 'play' with the camera on the tripod. Certainly look for a tripod with a MAXIMUM of 4 leg segments (Thre is generally better) Seriously expect to pay in the $70-100 range for a good tripod. After my Dad's pod and before I learned any better I had a $25 Slik (which broke), a $15 plastic mystery dime-store tripod which took 10 minutes to set up, a Wal-Mart style tripod that actually bent and finally settled on a Bogan 3001 which is likely heavier than you are looking for.

As Douglas just said, over several years he owned 4 or 5 tripods which he no longer has because they were junk, and if you factor inflation of their cost into 2003 dollars he threw at least $100 into the trash can, probably a lot more. He also had his share of agrivation in attempting to use them. Buy a decent tripod. When I split with my first wife abbout 25 years ago she got the Gitzo Reporter, then about 10 years old, and I got the Studex, about 5 years old. We both still have and use them. Our grandchildren will use them.