Hi all. I am currently a Minolta user, but the little turds aren't

going to come out with a digital I can use. I have purchased a Canon

A2 to start my Canon system, however, I got to worrying about their

lenses. My Minolta lenses don't have a motor built into them, so all

I have to do is buy a new body and all of my lenses get faster. It

seems to me that Canon will be limited (in the future) by the speed

of the motors in their lenses. I don't want to have to buy all new

lenses to get faster AF. Can someone clear this up for me? Will

future Canon bodies actually make their current lenses faster?

What!? Minolta charge as much for their lenses as Canon but they don't even put a motor in it? What a rip-off! Ring USM lenses are faster than anything else out there, probably faster than Minolta with their motor-in-the-body design will ever get, although I have to admit to never using one...

Don't worry about it. Buy USM lenses and be happy.

That said: Some bodies do focus faster because of the electronics in them to check the focus work faster, but not much. But a USM lens on any body is _fast_.

"Will future Canon bodies actually make their current lenses faster?"

Yes in theory, but it probably won't be noticibly faster by normal means. I think you might have lost the point of having motors inside of the lens. The Canon's point of putting motors inside of the lens was to OPTIMIZE the auto-focusing accuracy and speed for each lens. When a camera body needs to rotate a shaft to focus the lens, its efficiency is slightly lower than that of a comparable motor-equipped lens due to the friction. In general for Canon, each lens has an optimum sized motor for its purpose. A economical (cheap) consumer lenses may have a less expensive motor to save a cost, but it is fairly efficient and acceptable by normal consumer. For MOST of pro-model (except for 50mm f/1.0L, 85mm f/1.2L, ...), they are significantly faster in focusing speed and accuracy than their less pricy siblings. You can choose lenses to fit your need and budget and there performance will be adequate and comparable to its non-motor equipped lenses from other manufacturer.

Now, back to your question, a newer body with improved focusing algorithm and accurate (more sensitive) sensors will be "faster" than the older models in certain conditions. For normal shooting condition, it won't make much difference. I've used older Canon bodies (A2, Elan II and 1n) and newer EOS 1V-HS. I have noticed a improved auto-focusing speed and accuracy of newer flagship model 1V-HS, especially during a difficult to focus situation (very dim, not enough contrast on the subject). However, in most shooting conditions with descent optics, Elan IIe works just as good as 1V-HS. In short, Canon lenses with motors in them are optimal or near optimum for their designed functions. So don't worry, if you buy a descent lens, it will be fast for MANY MANY years to come.

Bodies do make a significant difference.

My EOS 3 is very significantly faster than my EOS 5 was or my D30 is when using the same lenses. Some are limited by motor (notably my AFD 50 F1.8) but the USMs are not. They're limited by the camera for the most part.

Umm, the EOS 1 and EOS 3 use a different AF sensor system than the lower end camera bodies. With faster lenses, these cameras will give improved AF performance.

I would expect the lower end bodies to give similar performance (although, the D30 and D60 have notoriously poor performance in low light).

Theoretically, individual lenses will be more expensive because of the motor. In practice, I suspect market forces have more to do with lens pricing than the presence of the motor.

In my (limited) experience, USM motors are only critical for longer lenses or for zoom lenses. For short prime lenses, USM is not as critical for good performance.

Camera electronics make a difference. When the EOS 5/A2/A2e hit the markets, we didn't even have the first Pentiums. While other electronics didn't change that fast, they did and do. It's not just the notorious "high precision sensors" of the topmost EOSes that make a difference.<p>Does it matter in practice? Last weekend, I had to shoot an event with fast-moving people, using an EOS 100 + EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM (provided by the organisation that ran the event). The ancient camera had no difficulty keeping up with dancers.

I feel for you todd.Wouldn't it be sensible for a couple of companies to get together-say minolta and pentax- and work together on some form of DSLR?Just SOMETHING reasonable to use your current lenses on!<br>As for the lens focus speed Q- EOS lens focus speed IS getting faster over the years but is now getting to the stage where there is little point trying to go faster.Compare one of the early models to present!even the lowly 50/1.8II is a significant improvement over the I version with it's whining old motor.But there is a limit to how much faster they can go.For most consumer optics, focus speed is now great.I've noticed in my own (crude)focusing tests that various bodies can take quite awhile to confirm focus and then meter before letting the shutter fire.The speed of the motor is becoming less relevant <p>

One day they will bring out pro models that have big motors that draw more power to keep up with the focus capabilities of the best bodies.I wonder when they'll start using the motor to slow the focus group AND recharge the battery (or at least have a seperate small batt if ness).Maybe in the future they'll have to ADD weight to a lens in the form of a counterweight to the focus group so that the whole camera doesn't give a jolt when it focuses!

Thanks for your input guys. I really appreciate it. It does suck that Minolta is not going to come out with a digital slr. I wrote them a letter and they even admitted they didn�t have any plans to make one. I love my 800si. However, the more I use this little Canon A2 the more I like it. It feels kind of cheap compared to my 800si, but I think it makes up for it with speed. I also worry about the little control knob that everyone has trouble with. But this camera will probably not get much use once I get a 10d. Part of my concern for this question comes from the fact that I purchased a Tokina lens with my Canon. It sounds like a meat grinder. However, I have a Canon 28-105 USM on order. I think this will help out a lot. Again, thanks for your input folks.