owen w.

Dear Friends,

I don�t know if I tread onto taboo grounds: prices for new Leica

equipment. I flew into the US just a couple days ago. On my agenda

was/is purchase of a new M7 (.58) with the Passport warranty. I could

buy the M7 in Myanmar from the distributor for 1750 Euros. (Although

my distributor still firmly believes that Leica doesn�t make the M7 .58

in chrome.)

I�ve been shocked that the best price I can find in the US (so far)

is $2450. Most dealers are all quoting $2595. I had presumed that the

price would be something over $2k, but over $2500 is a more of a

difference than I had expected. Again, as I have rarely, if ever, seen

actual prices discussed on this forum (except used prices), is it

�okay� to ask if anyone knows a dealer / vendor offering a better price

for a new M7 w/passport warranty? ?

Thanks.

Owen

M7's are going for around $1900 or so on ebay. The only thing is that dealers I see offering them in that range are outside the USA. I've seen one in Canada and one in Asia. One problem with that is that I don't know what import duties one may get stuck with. I am quite sure there will be duties, though. I even had to pay duty on a used slide projector I got from Canada. The duty wasn't much--I think maybe $17.00--but UPS charged me about $25.00 for a "brokerage fee." At any rate, so far it sounds like you're better off buying in Myanmar!

Owen, I looked at two big camera stores in Chicago (Helix and Central Camera) and B

& H in New York on the web, and a new Leica M7 is listed at $2,595 at each store. I

guess

with this high end camera they don't sell enough to discount them. Looking at the

exchange rate, 1,750 euros would be about 1,900 USD. Sounds like you'd be better

off buying them from your distributor.

When I was in Frankfurt, Germany this winter, I looked at the M7 in a few shops. They

had them priced higher than in the US, but then again these were little boutique type

shops. Are the

prices really that much lower outside the US?

Owen, I have never seen the price on a new M7 here in the US at or below what you have been offered in Myanmar. They seem to be within a few $ of $2500 no matter where you go. While the passport warranty is a great thing, I don't think I would go for it at that price tag when a used M7 can go for as low as $1800 or so. Who knows... with all of the boo-hooing over the finder improvements in the new M7's, you may be able to pick up a '1st generation' M7 for almost the same price as an M6ttl (~$1200) in a few more months.

If you want full warranty, incl. international passport, then I don't think you will find

anyone in the US who will go much under $US 2.5K.<P>

OTOH, if you are willing to go grey-market, then chances are you can save yourself a

few hundred dollars. Get in touch with Delta International or Tony Rose or Rich Pinto,

or even Dr Joseph Yao in Hong Kong.<P>

For the contact URLs for these people, see the Leica FAQ I maintain at:<P>

<A HREF="http://nemeng.com/leica/004e.shtml">

http://nemeng.com/leica/004e.shtml</A>

The dealer's cost of a <b>new M7 in the US</b> is still a lot more than the price you

are talking about. The actual cost of the item (without applying any discounts for

paying within 30 or 60 or 90 days) is approximately <b>$2,345.00</b>. As you can

see, the profit margin on an M7 (if sold at MSRP) is only about 10.65% but, some

dealers are willing to lower their profits as low as 4.5% (out of which they have to pay

commission to their salesperson; which in reality lowers the profit margin closer to a

3% gain). That means that the cheapest price you'll find for a new M7 with Passport

Warranty is no less than $2,450.00. <p>There are only three ways that a dealer can

afford to sell you an M7 cheaper than $2,450.00: <br>1) The item is Gray Market (no

Passport Warranty). <br>2) The item is used or it is a Demo unit. <br>3) The

dealer

is willing to take a loss on the camera because you are buying more equipment at this

time (lenses, multiple bodies, etc.) and, he/she is making a marked profit on these

items. <p>Buying a Leica is not a cheap investment, not even for a dealer. The profit

they make on this <i>high-end</i> items is a lot less than with cheaper cameras.

For example, it is common to see a 17% to 20% net gain on many consumer digital

cameras (plus whatever they make on selling extra media cards, filters, extended

warranties, etc.). Now you know why there are so few places specialized in selling

<i>high-end</i> cameras like Leica, Hassleblad, Contax and, others like these.

Well, I don't know about where you guys are shopping, but Adorama has a black .72 finder for about 240 bucks less than the .58. Very odd. I don't think they have the chrome .58. These are both for the US version with passport. Funny, the .58 is actually more than I paid for my MP from them. Strange strange strange. I won't list the prices, because you are not supposed to advertise them, but you can just go to their site...you will have to call or email them for the real price of the MP though. They list it for 2595, but are selling it for much less...at least the Black .72 one anyway.

Hi, Owen:

>>> I flew into the US just a couple days ago. On my agenda was/is purchase of a

new M7 (.58) with the Passport warranty.<<<

I wouldn't worry about geetting a Passport warranty. And for that price, I would buy in

Burma. I bought a Noctilux in Paris almost 2 yrs ago for about $200 less than the US

gray market price, when the euro was weak, but then found that I could have gotten it

at AV Camera in Bangkok for another $200 less.

--Mitch/Potomac, MD

You will not find it for less than $2,450 w/ warranties from a dealer in the US, unless you are also buying something else and/or is a trusted customer of that particular dealer.

Buy at home for 1,750 euros, I don't see why you are looking for a lower price than that? It is a great price - and let's face it, you could be in the US taking photos right now instead of chasing a few dollars ;-)

Dear Friends,

Whew! I�m so glad to know the subject isn�t verboten. As so little is written about actual retail pricing here, I was nervous. Yes, I�m surprised to see the prices up so high, even factoring in a reasonable price for the warranty. BUT, such is as such is. Maybe it is better that I just wait until I get back. I have my M6ttl .85 with me, so I�m not without a camera (heaven forbid!). Thanks for all the help.

FWIW, my subscription to the photo.net is in the mail. I�m still a Luddite about payment via the net.

Thanks, again. Owen

I've been there over 8 years now. Most of that time spent as chief technical advisor for HIV/AIDS control under UNDP. I took one year off to do research into the indigenous sign languages. (I wrote the two volume dictionary of the Thai Sign Language during the 1980s.) Myanmar / Burma is fascinating, but not necessary what I'd call easy. It's been hard on both body and soul. Some nice photos, tho.

Cheers, Owen