ebay with a story

tony_rocha

Hi Tony

Thanks for sharing that, it was really very interesting, I thought.

I've seen their auctions before, a little while ago they were selling a few Nikon F2s.

I didn't realize Marv was "Gooeyduck", though. Now I'm cusious why he doesn't list under his old "titl"?

A good ad for the camera. I too enjoyed it

Rob

Thanks very much for the link, Tony. It brought back some bittersweet memories of that period in my life. I was a 1st lieutenant in the US Army during the Viet Nam war, but got no closer to the action than Hawaii. Several of my classmates from OCS at Ft. Benning never made it back.

Marv's a sweet guy with a healthy take on life, and terribly refreshing to talk to. I picked up a Canon A35F rangefinder from him (cool camera, btw, sharp and light and inconspicuous...yeah, like that other camera, but cheap!), it was a little $10 job, but we chatted back and forth by e-mail, something that happens less and less on eBay these days. He's got an infectious perspective.

My understanding was that for some misunderstanding with eBay administration his earlier handle, gooeyduck, was suspended. I would be awfully surprised if it were due to something he did, as he had a pretty wide rep for being quite conservative in his descriptions, and was generally an all-around nice guy. Prob'ly just another instance of a good guy getting squashed by an administrative misunderstanding; if it's not automated, eBay service stinks at it.

And yeah, his listings were/are terribly interesting. This one is one of my personal favorites.

I bought a camera from Marv once. It came in with focussing totally off. He or Patricia offered an immediate refund but of course I'd lose shipping one way. I repaired it instead, locally.

The camera was the Rollei XF that I'd posted not too long ago.

good communication is all I'd say.

• 1 year later...

This is in response to Rob Helm's answer regarding Marv Olsen AKA Gooeduck on eBay.

<<

Rob Helm , sep 03, 2003; 09:24 a.m.

Hi Tony

Thanks for sharing that, it was really very interesting, I thought.

I've seen their auctions before, a little while ago they were selling a few Nikon F2s.

I didn't realize Marv was "Gooeyduck", though. Now I'm cusious why he doesn't list under his old "titl"?

A good ad for the camera. I too enjoyed it

Rob

>>

"Gooeyduck" is now "ssearss" on eBay. Well, sorta.

This link will only be good for about ninety days so just search for Seller "ssearss" for more current info.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43493&item=7501935211&rd=1

The following is a bit long, but is verbatim from an auction listing.

" Hi there: My name is Patricia and this is my eBay account. I sell stamps and occasional collectibles for myself. Mostly, however, I sell cameras that are consigned to me by Marv. Marv provides images and descriptions and actually retains and ships the merchandise from his house. I handle the money, payments, receipts, and the bookkeeping.

Alfred is a retired Post Office employee who keeps his hand in it by working part-time at a small contract Post Office near Marv's house. Alfred does most of the packaging for Marv and goes to Marv's house once or twice a week to take care of it. Marv usually does the actual shipping, and typically toward the end of the week. Thus, if you win a weekend auction, your item will typically go out on the following Thursday or Friday. An exception might be a foreign-destination item; those tend to be shipped on Saturdays. I mention all this just to give you a heads-up that we are NOT known for overnight shipping. If you absolutely have to have something in a hurry, overnight, shipped to someone else as a gift, etc., we are NOT the ones to do it.

Marv is quite conservative at describing his merchandise, and a typical feedback comment might be "item better than expected." However, because of the occasional slow shipping issue, sometimes the comment reads "item better than expected, but a little slow to ship." Well, there WAS the time that Marv tried selling flashbulbs that he claimed had been "used only once," but you aren't going to hold that against him, are you?! (Marv here: You guys are being unfair; I was just testing them!) "