f2.4 is I know recognised as the standard but I like the idea of the

90mm f2.8 being slightly wider.I only have a 45mm lens for my 67 at

the moment which I love but often find the need for that tighter

angle.Could anyone let me know the pro's and con's of the two options

optically, or in thier experience the reason why they went for one or

the other.

Regards

Stephen Denby.

I seem to recall the 90mm focuses a little closer, and I believe many of the older 90mm are leaf shutter lenses. If I recall properly (not having either lens) I think that the old 90mm leaf shutter often had mechanical problems with the leaf shutter functions, but worked ok as a regular lens.

Again, from my rusty memory, I think I read that the 90mm is slightly sharper than the 105, but someone else will have to confirm this.

Hi Stephen, I think the thing to consider here is how many lenses do you want to have for your P6711 eventually. I have 45mm, 55mm, 105mm and 205mm lenses for mine, which gives me pretty good flexibility. I used to have Takumar 75mm and 135mm lenses too, which I sold as I wasn't too impressed by their optical quality compared to my other lenses. Overall I find that my 55mm lens is the most useful focal length, followed by the 45mm, 105mm and then the 200mm lens. I wouldn't go out without taking all 4 of them, you just never know what you are going to find when you are out and about.

If you are planning to add the 55mm lens sometime too, you might prefer to have the 105mm lens rather than the 90mm. However, if you were thinking of getting a 135mm lens sometime, then the 90mm lens would be a better choice as it is more distinct from the 135mm focal length than the 105mm lens is. I find my 105mm lens quite useful, limited depth of field for close parts of the landscape though, but ideal for looking into the distance across a loch/lake or whatever.

PS Should be 200mm lens above, not 205mm

Also, I haven't heard anything particularly bad about either lens, the 105mm lens is certainly sharper in medium apertures like f5.6 to f11 than it is stopping all the way down. I haven't had a chance to try the 90mm lens, but I wouldn't expect it to be much different quality wise from the 105mm lens. Robert White currently have a second hand 90mm lens on their online stock list (www.robertwhite.co.uk), for £336. That lens has been advertised there for at least 6 months, you might well get a good deal on it if you contacted them directly.

• 3 months later...

Dear Stephen;

Pentax no longer makes leaf shutter lenses for the 6X7. Both the 90 and 105 can still be bought new, which is good news. The 90 f2.8 is easier to hand-hold than the 105 f2.4. Keep in mind that the 90 f2.8

is not the old leaf shutter lens as it once was.

I personally like the 105 f2.4 because it is closer to a 50 mm lens in 35 mm format. Whereas the 90 is like having a 45 mm in 35 format.