Silver, Black?

Let's say, some time down the road I can get a silver MP with three

lenses. I'm aiming to get the 35/f2 Summicron, 50/f2 Summicron and

90/f2.8 Elmarit. The 35 and 50 I'd like to get in silver. The

Elmarit's a tough choice though. I know the weight and wear

differences, but which finish would you pick on that lens, and why?

I just got an MP, and I decided on black. I know people are saying its only a fondler's body, but I think that is nonsense. I chose black for several reasons: 1. I find black more aesthetically pleasing. 2. Black is generally more inconspicuous. If I am photographing people a black camera distracts them less than a silver one; this is not just for street photography, but even portraiture. Black is generally less threatening than silver/chrome. Just my take. Granted, a black chrome one is even more inconspicuous, but this was not an option. That said, I am not going to freak out if the paint brasses off...I have an F1-N that is brassing, and it does not bother me in the slightest. I don't care about resale value, because I don't plan to resell. I will take care of the camera, but purely for selfish reasons -- I want it to last. For the lenses, I would pick black for the exact same reasons. Additionally, as was mentioned, they are lighter. A final advantage is that a black lens on a chrome body looks more normal than a chrome lens on a black body, at least to my eyes. Because of this they are more versatile. Of course, all this is my personal opinion, so if it incurs, flaming, I apologize. I am not a Leica expert by ANY stretch of the imagination, these are just the opinions of a beginning photographer who happens to have very traditional tastes.

<p>I agree, Erik, that the chrome lenses <i>do</i> look nice on a chrome body. But, they <i>are</i> heavier. Plus, every chrome body should be accompanied by a black pal - for the other kind of film (black for B&W, chrome for chromes?). Thus, the only reason I see for keeping everything the same is if you're getting an ogler set (don't even fondle them). So, I'd really suggest going with the lighter, black chrome lenses. But, you might enjoy the chrome on brass aesthetics, notwithstanding all that extra weight in your bag, so do what pleases you most. Don't worry about all us nay-sayers. We neither carry, nor shoot, your cameras.</p>

If you really feel comfortable handling your Leica, to the point of it becoming part of you, you'll develop a confidence that allows you to use it without bringing much attention to yourself. Silver finish holds up better on the body. Black lenses are lighter. I could live without the 50 at all, but I have a black one, rarely used. I'd rather have a 21 as a third lens. Hell, buy either what you like or what's cheaper.

In answer to Michael's question as to why I chose the MP over the M7:

I like the aesthetics and slightly smaller size of the MP better. It is not really a practical decision. Nor do I think it has to be. If I need AE, I have an F-1N, or better yet, a T-90. If I will be doing extremely rapid shooting, I will choose one of these cameras. If I were really serious about rapid action, I would have an autofocus system. The MP for me is about a camera that is light, graceful and provides beautful images. I will use it when I can more leisurely set up a shot and when I am trying to create pictures rather than take them. Also for inobtrusive candids of my friends and family. I am somewhat amused at all this technical bashing of the MP...especially from other Leica users. All Leicas are as much about romance as they are about photography. In most cases a professional will choose a medium format or a full-featured SLR...not a Leica. Places and situations that demand silence and discretion are the obvious exception (i.e. travel/reportage/street photography). Anyway, that's my take, as I said before, feel free to disagree.

OK I'll bite too: you need one in titanium, one in anodized black and two in silver chrome. Send one of the silvers to Shintaro to have in black-painted. You really need all possible finishes to co-ordinate with your clothes, shoes, socks, hats, neck ties, scarves, gloves and briefcases. If you eventually find any of them (not just the lenses) not to your liking, just sell it off.

Erik, I used to have the Elmarit 90mm in chrome before trading up to the 90AA. I would handle one before making such decisions. While it is indeed the most impressively made lens I have ever held it is also very heavy. I consider weight to be a compromise on the M and for something this heavy and slow this is unacceptable. If you don't mind the weight then also consider the Summicron.

Lemmesee here. Leica makes five (5) focal lengths in both black and chrome at the same speed. The 21,24,35,50, and 90.

Assuming one carries all of either finish and same speed around at once, how much more weight would the chrome lenses add?

Three plus pounds maybe? What is the matter with you young whippersnappers? When you get to my age you'll be glad you had the exercise.

The camera bodies weigh the same in either finish. The glass in the lenses is the same so one must presume that the results depend upon skill, and occasionally on luck.

Best,

Jerry

@Lacey,

"Granted, a black chrome one is even more inconspicuous.. " That's the reason I will wait until a MP black chrome is available. There is no technical reason why Leica could not build them.

@Stuart

"silver reminds me of my mom's old Canon AE1 Program. Good camera..."

Most Canon AE 1 Program are black ones.

"Just curious, why have folks chosen the MP over the M7."

Because it's close to the M3.

My black chrome M6 and my silver chrome M3 work well together with silver and black lenses. And most silver lenses have black hoods.

So enjoy the "Panda"-look!

Not only does a black lens look good on a black or a chome body (chrome on black looks weird) but black (whether as lens or body) has the distinct advantage that you can read the letterings and numbers better there too. At least for me it's easier to see white or yellow on black than black or red on chrome.

Take the finish that suits your fancy. All these opinions are just

that, opinions. So here's mine...

The MP is suppose to be a kind of retro Leica. I think the chrome

one in .085 VF is as close to a M3 with an internal meter as you

can get in a new camera (not that it IS an equal to a M3). I also

think the chrome lenses are cool looking, and I like both the

weight of the Titanium and Chrome because thay help steady

this little camera at minimum shutter speeds, especially with the

90/2.8 (a chrome 90AA would be pushing the issue). Plus,

besides the current line-up, a lot of the older lenses with

"character" are available in chrome.

If a person can't carry a chrome MP and a couple of lenses (only

the lenses add weight since the bodies are the same), they

should switch to a plastic camera, or start visiting the gym.

Since 95% of the point and shoot cameras are Chrome finish,

most people think a chrome Leica is one of "them" and pay no

more attention to you than if it was a black one, maybe less.

I had 2 BP MPs and sent both back, one because the finish was

flawed. Also, BP fingerprints like crazy, so allow for "polishing

time" in your shooting schedule : -)

Finally, I've owned and used all finishes, and found that for all

practical purposes, the Titanium marks up just as easy as the

Chrome and looks worse when it does.