Engraving the Rolleiflex TLR case?

dave_flanagan

This is a pure vanity question, but I couldn't find anything in the archives:

I'll be sending in my Rollei 2.8F for a CLA next week, and since it'll be gone for a

couple months, I was going to try something I've thought about for a while. The

everready case has the metal badge on the front, with a big blank spot on it below the

logo. I always assumed that this was for engraving your initials or some other kind of

personalization. Has anybody else taken the time to do this? Any suggestions on

where to get it done?

Thanks,

Dave

You should be able to find a tool for putting your initials, or other information, on your metal possessions at a good hardware store. I believe you can get simple tools for just scratching the information in or powered tools which will do a more professional job.

Ask your local hardware store salesman.

Almost every mall has a gift shop that can inscribe engraving on just about anything. They may only be willing to engrave items they sell, but considering the varied shapes, sizes and materials, I'd say you should be able to get your neverready case engraved somewhere.

Y'know what else might be kinda cool? Custom leathers for the body itself with a cutout to accept a small gold or silver blank medallion suitable for engraving. The leather should overlap the metal slightly to ensure long term retention. Both could be affixed with Pliobond or similar material so the camera could be restored to original condition if desired.

Owners of other valuable items (like collectible knives) consider engraving an asset while cameras are rarely personalized in any fashionable way. Of course with more plastic being used that's tougher than ever to do.

Hi Dave,

Good question. These are highly desirable, personal items and thus are perfect candidates for tasteful personlization. Back in the mid-70s when I bought my first Leica (flex SL2), I took it to a local jeweler to have my Social Security number engraved on the bottom plate for security identification. He made sure it would sit in his jig, and then said to come back in an hour.

I strolled back in and he looked somewhere between miffed and worried. He presented the camera but then explained that he wasn't pleased with the virtually indistinguishable black engravings that he'd made. "You can't see them, it isn't silver under that paint..."

I smiled and assured him that the job was perfect, and that, because it was black chrome, he wasn't going to see any silver shining through. He was astonished, never having encountered such metal usage. I added that he'd find the same black chrome being used on my BMW's bumpers, as well as Porsches of the period. Neat stuff.

So, after recalling that tale for the first time in a long time, I'd suggest that you first, take it to a family-owned jeweler and ask for his help. I'd avoid the mall stores cum-minimum-wage-clerks unless you just can't find a place where you can talk to the person responsible for the job.

Also, now, start thinking about type fonts-- to match or compliment the type used in the Rollei logo or camera body. Don't let them choose. Bring a photo or scan of the front of the camera for reference and comparison to their avaialable styles.

Good luck; would love to see the results.

Ray Hull