terry_spade

I am new to large format. I want to develop my own color neg/slide

film. Then scan them into my computer. Plan on using a HP Combi-Plan

4X5 daylight processing tank. I used to develop slides when I first

got into 35mm photography. Way back in 1975. At one time I even had a

dark room. But don't want to do that again. The Computer is the only

way to go with color. IMHO :) But I don't want to buy a darkroom how

to book. Just need to know what chems to buy and how to use them

times/temps etc. Or if anyone can recommend a complete kit of chems.

Thanks Terry

Terry, you'll get all kinds of answers. In my younger foolisher days I tried to formulate E-6 from dry powders but ruined a LOT of good pictures messing around. Every time I thought I had a handle on it I would go for a repeat and get something different. Kits are the only way to go. <a href="http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=surebet2&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25">This</a> guy here sells Agfa kits which I have used with nice success.

You can find some information about developing color sheet film at

www.largeformatphotography.info. It discusses processing slide film using Unicolor drums.

Tetenal makes kits both for processing slide film and for processing color negative film. Kodak also sells the chemicals but only in relatively large amounts. Presumably the kits come with instructions about times and temperatures.

The HP Combi uses a relatively large amount of chemicals. Using a drum, you can get away with using less chemicals and hence process more film for the same amount of money. Probably the most effective system is a Jobo Processor, which combines a drum with a method of controlling temperatures.

You will probably find when all is said and done that it is more expensive than sending it to a lab to do. The only advantage in doing it yourself rather than having it done by a lab is that you can get the results more quickly. Depending on where you live, even that is not so clear. In Chicago, I can drop film off at a lab and get it back three hours later.

Jim,

According to your link, the Agfa kits go for $16-22 per kit and each kit gives you 500 ml. I'm pretty sure you need at least a liter for a HP Combi tank, which can handle at most six 4 x 5 sheets at a time. I've done my share of developing color film, but I never had much luck with reusing chemicals to exploit the full capacity of the kit. This could easily come out costing something like $5 per sheet. Commercial labs do it for $2-$2.50 or less per sheet.

Leonard

One store in town Crown Camera (unless you count kits camera) and they want $10 a sheet for the first sheet. They didn't give any other price break down. I didn't ask. And they send it out, takes at least 3 days. This isn't Chicago. I live in Redding Ca. Great place to make pictures! :) The Tetenal kit looks interesting, maybe the way to go.

Thanks Terry

Terry and Leonard, It's 2 500ml Agfa kits for $20. And about $6 for shipping. In a Jobo 2500 series drum, 500ml works fine for 6 sheets at a time. I usually do 18 sheets before I toss the 500ml. So $13 for 18 sheets is more attractive.