specific needs: which 90mm?

Greetings,

I have just returned to Leica after 25 years. I have a M6 .85 with a

35mm Summicron ASPH. I need a 90mm for available light use for high

school concerts and plays, for portraits, and for travel use. My

first thought was the T Elimarit for size and bokeh on potraits but

the available light shooting in auditoriums and theatres makes me

think I need a 90mm Summicrom (55mm)I can't afford another ASPH.

thoughts and sugestions Please. Thanks Steve

This is a no-brainer. If can't justify price of the latest iteration

ASPH Summicron, get the previous model Summicron on the used market.

Enjoy the extra stop over the Tele Emarit 2.8, which is also a great

lens. Also, Take advantage of new, higher speed films, which have

made great quality leaps over the past few years. Happy shooting!

I see two possibilities. Either get a used Tele-Elmarit (thin version) which has the advantage of being nice and small and light but also sharp enough. The thing to watch out for here is that this often has an etched surface on the inside part of the glass, possibly due to fungus. Also some fog, haze, flare. See if you like the type of hood. Filter size E39.

The other thing to do is buy a used current 2.8/90 which is sharper, but also bigger and heavier. Many say that there is no sharper M90 other than the current 2/90AA. Built in hood reduces flare better than that above, but you might not like built-ins. Filter size E46. I bought this one (used, mint) and have no regrets, but I might trade it in some day on the thin TE above, which then must be in perfect condition.

Steve, perhaps I can suggest a temporary solution while you wait for the "ideal" one, i.e. the 90/2 ASPH. I use a Konica Hexanon 90/2.8, excellent build quality and results in a very small and compact package, used in mint you'll find it for around $400.

Cheers,

I should start by saying that my only own experience is with the current 90mm Elmarit (and I'm very happy with it). But I do remember having seen on the Internet a comparison test between the new Summicron AA and the Tele-Elmarit (with photos of trees with foliage in the background etc.). In those tests, the Tele-Elmarit showed some quite bad bokeh, among the worst I've seen from a Leica lens via Web viewing (which is admittedly limited). Sorry, I couldn't find the link quickly right now, but some Google-ing should reveal this test. So if bokeh is important to you, check it out. In this test, the Summicron AA had much much nicer bokeh. The current Elmarit was not part of this test, so no direct comparison possible; but I can say I'm quite happy with the performance, incl. bokeh, I get from my current Elmarit (smaller, lighter and cheaper than the Summicron AA).

Get a pre-APO Summicron, an E55 version can be had for $700. It's a great lens and performs virtually the same as the Elmarit at f2.8 (unless you shoot test targets) and you have an extra stop when you need it. If you want or need the f2 to look like f2.8 in quality then you need the APO-ASPH.
Robin Smith

Im looking for a 90mm too, ive searched alot on the net to help me decide between the 90 (tele) elmarits. I cant afford the most recent version and dont want a summicron because of the weight and size. Ive come to the conclusion that all 3 of the (T) E's that are within my pricerange are excellent value for money. Ive been to the store yesterday to try those 3 and found the 'fat' Tele-Elmarit better balanced with my M2 and easiest to work with. However subjective, if all is equal, just choose the most appealing. I havent found a good sample yet though....... ;)

Greetings and good luck,

I'm with Robin on this one. I recently picked up a pre-asph summicron in mint- condition for 500.00. Ive only shot a test roll with it, but I am VERY pleased.

<P>I was shooting a 8.5cm Nikkor, which was no slouch, but the more I used it, the more the aperture ring was getting on my nerves.

<P>You can find the pre-asph's really cheap lately, I assume that a glut has developed as people move to the asph.

<P>Best,

Earlier in this thread I thought about singing the praises of the 85/2 Nikkor, and then thought better of it. Now that it's on the table for discussion, yes! For a 50+ year old lens it is fantastic, probably better than the first generation 90/2 Summicron at f/2 and f/2.8. The 85m Canons and Serenars (early Canon lenses were called Serenars) are no slouches either.

As for the lightly click stopped aperture ring on the Nikkor, I use an unsightly little piece of masking tape to keep it from wandering.

Al,

<P>I really liked the nikkor, it wasnt just the light detents on the aperture ring, but also the fact that it rotates along with the lens barrel... so often I had to invert the camera to see the setting.

<P>Great lens other than that, people say they're heavy, but only compared to black lenses, built beautifully, and sharp.

I have the last pre-ASPH 90/2 Summicron. It's a very good lens and a lot cheaper than the ASPH. From f4 on it's as good as the 90/2.8, which doesn't mean that it is horrible below f4. The ASPH is a whole different beast, but the cost difference is pretty big.

cheers,

feli