dougmiles

I took a well-used Pentax LX body (new to me) to a camera repair shop

for a CLA. When I picked it up, and the repairman was explaining what

had been done, he demonstrated the winder in which he'd found a bad

connection.

Anyway, when I got it home I noticed a very abnormal view in the

viewfinder, due to the focusing screen having fallen down onto the

mirror, along with a thinner clear screen. I'd guess it was not

secured in place, and jarred loose when he demo'd the winder.

The shop is a 4-hour round-trip, so I'm hoping one can put the screens

back in place without special tools... Suggestions? Instructions? :-)

I don't have one here now but i recall that they are dead easy to replace.The way i remember it is:.At the top front center of the mirror box there is a clip release,it will probably be hidden by the mirror stopper foam.Lay the camera on it's back and undo it-the clip hinges down and the focus screen just sits there ready to change.<P>I also don't recall a clear screen,but anything in there will only be able to go in one way as have offset tabs.<BR>There is not much to worry about when doing this job.Try not to get specs of dust or fingerprints on anything,but just clean them if that happens.If you do get the screen in the wrong way or not seated properly,it just won't focus to infinity,or the focus marks on the lenses won't line up anymore.I guess one thing i can warn you about is not to try cleaning the screen with fluid,some types of focus screen may not apreciate that.There should be instructions avail somewhere.I'll get back if i find them.all the best

Thank you, gents, for the helpful responses! The Pentax LX manual illustrates the procedure using a special tool, and advises not to touch anything with fingers. I'm not at all confident the repairman has this tool either, as he is just getting his shop going on a bare-bones basis.

But we'll be over there for other reasons tomorrow, so I'll drop in to see how he puts the screen in. In retrospect I believe what I called the "thinner clear screen" was just the pivoting metal frame that holds the ground glass in place.

Another problem I notice now is that the film counter returns to "5" instead of the proper sub-zero loading position. Hope he can fix that, and I'm amazed he didn't notice this in his CLA. I am not confident in his skill... :-(