less tech talk I offer

<a

href="http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/AncientBristlecone.html">these

.</a> I put them on a page earlier to send to a friend and thought I

would stick my neck out and share with my friends here. These are

quick and dirty scans with no dust touch up etc. but the ideas are

present. Camera; Deardorff 5X7. Film: Arista 125. Developed

in "Rollo" Pyro. 1,3,6,7 were done with Fuji 180mm F9A. 2,4,5,8 were

done with a Schneider 420mm Repro Claron.

I like the first one. The Pyro seems to have helped retain the values in the distant mountain. I have taken the liberty of "fiddling" with it a little. (Hope that isn't rude). I got rid of the highway, and did a little burning and dodging here and there.

Jim, slightly off topic. Was up there last fall, did a series of shots of cones in various stages of development. Nikon, MicroNikkor, flash, KM. Ambient light made NO contribution to the exposure. The young cones came out very blue on the slides. IIRC, in life they didn't glow blue. Please confirm that (a) my memory is failing or (b) that something odd happened between the flashes and the cones that the KM captured.

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks to all. Darin, these trees are in Eastern California in the White Mountain range east of the town of Bishop. They are the oldest living things. Some are dated back 3500+ years and still alive. They are unique and have a nobility about them. After they die they can stand in place for 1000's of more years. The wind and weather then sculpt them into beautiful shapes. Dan, don't know what to tell you. They are green bluish to some small extent. UV wasn't a factor if you lit with flash. Your local processor perhaps?

I should add that the gate was locked just past the visitor center. I walked about 6 miles for these shots. Pressed by time as always, by the time I found an area I wanted to work in I only had about an hour to shoot.

Are these scans from contact prints or from the negatives. I like

the tone of the prints, at least in my monitor they look a creamy

warm grey. If that is the real color of the prints, then I am curious

about the paper and developer used.

I do only contact printing on AZO with Amidol. I am extremely

satisfied with the tonality and sharpness of the prints, but not that

much with the color. They seem neutral to blue black. For some

reason I feel better with the warmish tones.

Hi Christian. These are scans of the negs. Since Pyro negs are green yellow, I scan in color and when I invert they are blue purple. In Photoshop I use the hue/saturation slider to change the hue to a warm brown and then desaturate almost 90% so that just a hint of warmth is left on the crt. A cheap paper that gives near identical results is Freestyles "Europes finest warmtone" 8X10 single weight glossy FB developed in the old Ansco 135 formula. I usually like a warm tone. Forte FB Elegance in Ansco 135 is very nice also.