texture in image, it is like an ugly grain. Nothing similar when I

print on Epson papers: I can see the dots only with loupe. So the

problem seems to be in printing media.

What about crazy idea to print on glossy PAPER and use it as a

negative?

What about even more crazy idea to try to print on usual gelatin

coated sheet film (of course, cleared with fixer)? If anybody tried

it --- how good gelatin absorbs dye ink? Needs the emulsion to be

softened (probably in alkali) or hardened (alum or formaldehyde)?

Was anybody happy with making digital negatives with desktop photo

printer?

Thank you

Andrey

P.S. I do enlarge negatives for contact printing via usual wet

process; the results are ok. My point is to get unlimited degree of

control provided by Photoshop.

I recently ran across this paper by <A HREF="http://bostick-sullivan.com/Technical_papers/Digital%20Info/Dave_Fokos/davetech.htm">David Fokos, Digital Negative Technique</A>. He doesn't use a desktop printer, but I've seen his prints (lightjet) at 36"x36" and they are breathtaking.

<P>

You can see some of the results of his technique <A HREF="http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/Gallery/Fokos/fokos.htm">here</A>.

I think your problem is that inkjet inks are not transparent -- to light passing through, every tone will read as little black specks. You could try "black ink only" printing, but that's grainy in its own way. The best approach may be one of those machines that prints digital files to photo-sensitive media, but if you're using those, why bother making an internegative?

Apparently Fokos uses the digital negative for contact printing on Platinum / Palladium and the lightjet for very large prints. I assume that he would uses the same digital file for the lightjet prints and he uses for output to the film recorder, since his main goal seems to be consistency from one print to the next?

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the input.

I've read the Fokos' article. He uses a service bureau for printing; not an option for me for some reasons. Right now I can use only Epson desktop printer, nothing else.

Steven, you're right. But I could not find any pro media for my purpose; I appreciate if anybody tells me about better material.

Tom, for silver gelatin process there is quite enough density. Part of the problem is these densities are full of micro holes...

Beau, the ink is semitransparent; dots therefore are semitransparent. But as I've already said, the ink layers are not continuous enough, not homogeneous, and rather grainy. I don't understand why there is the big difference in grain between glossy photo paper and the transparency. Leaving it alone as a matter of fact, I just wonder did anyone happen to find a transparent media that suits the purpose better?

I also use a service bureau for digital negs, but...

Visit www.Danburkholder.com. He "wrote the book" about digital negatives. He reccomends Pictorico (a trade name, I think) transparency media as a suitable base for digital negatives from a desktop printer. There is a lot of information at his web site as well as in his book.

Negatives from desktop printers are only suitable for alternative process printing, such as platinum, gum bichromate, cyanotypes and the like. They are not detailed enough to make silver prints.

• 2 months later...

Yesterday received Pictorico (Premium OHP Transparency Film), together with Dan's book.

Book reading is in progress, but have already tried Pictorico and am really impressed! When I select media profile that allows 2880 dpi (Heavyweight Matter or Premium Glossy), ink does NOT spread over dark tones, no blots! Even the Epson native transparencies aren't able to behave in this way.

All the labor is yet to come, but... just could not resist.

Joe, thanks again for the excellent advice!