How old were you when you started shooting on medium format?

robert_macdonald

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was but a wee tyke of eight,my father gave me his well used Brownie 127 TLR, which made 12 exposures 4x4 on 127 film. Next, I started shooting a hand-me-down Yashica-Mat in high school, when I was 13. I shot hundreds of rolls of 120 before I ever picked up a 135 film camera. To this very day I shoot 25 rolls of 120 to every roll of 135.

I started using MF with 4.5x6cm in 127 roll film; Verichrome Pan when in Kindergarden; at 6 years of age....The Kodak bakelite camera had an F11 lens. It got dropped several times; and the light seal of the grooves would leak light...Thus it had to be taped with "friction tape" on the 2 halves of the camera by my dad after loading; to kill off the light fogging. The light fogging would give a positive image in the underexposed parts of a negative; and thus would appear as a negative in the underexposed areas when contact printed.

In 1965, at age six my father purchased a Diana camera for me to take to the New York Worlds Fair. I used color slide film at the fair. I still have them.

That was in the days before the cult following of Diana camera by the arts department of college photography programs.

My earliest memories include my Father using a Rollei. I still have his camera and it is still working.

We had a Brownie 127 when I was five or six and I probably took a couple of shots with that. My first serious MF shots were taken on a borrowed Hasselblad when I was eighteen. I didn't own a MF camera until I aquired an old Rollop a year or so later. Does anyone else remember the Rollop?

I`d be about 14 (in 1949) when I was allowed to use my parents` Kodak "Autographic" folding camera. "Autographic" because it had a light-tight flap and metal stylus to title each neg.

And yes, I rember the Rollop TLR. The only one I ever saw belonged to a fellow soldier when in Malaya (now West Malaysia)in the 50`s.

When I was a kid in the 60's my father had a Kodak something that loaded 120 film. I was always curious how light never seeped into the paper backing and into the negative. I don't remember using that camera but did use the Instamatic my father bought later on. Soon I was attracted to the 35mm SLR and thought that was the ultimate in photography. Last year I took up medium format, at 45.

I got you all beat: 4 years old with a Brownie, 120 film. My sister was 9 when we both got them as gifts from our father, who did his own processing at about age 12 in the late 19teens. I still have some of his prints made when he was in his teens but, alas, none that I made at 4.

I got you all beat: 4 years old with a Brownie, 120 film. My sister was 9 when we both got them as gifts from our father, who did his own processing at about age 12 in the late 19teens. I still have some of his prints made when he was in his teens but, alas, none that I made at 4.

Make that: that I shot at 4 (I wasn't printing!)

At 10y old (1947) borrowing my mother's Zeiss-Ikon Super Ikonta B, with uncoated lens. Later on, my father gave me a Yashicaflex-S (1956), the one with a large selenium meter. I have both. Nowadays, I use the Hasselblad and, sometimes a Super Ikonta C and or a Rolleiflex 2.8E.

Hmmmmm. It will be interesting to see how many responders post to this

thread that are under 25. My guess is that most "young" people will

take up digital in place of medium format or even 35 mm.

That does not bode well for the future of film.........