User experiences with Pentax 67 120mm SF

milco_van_klingeren

I have the 120mm soft focus Pentax67 lens and it is a great lens. You WILL need to get yourself at least 3 neutral density filters, however. The reason why is because of the way the variable soft focus works on the lens. It is most difused when wide-open. If it is bright out and you are shooting high-speed film, you can crank the shutter speed all the way up to compensate but even then you may have to close the aperture down, the latter which reduces the soft focus. It also helps if you have a lens shade. You may also want to use a 1.4x or 2x extender to get closer portraits without distortion.

<p>

The effects of the soft focus lens are dreamy looking photos. If this is what you want, then this is a very good lens to achieve it.

Roger,

<p>

My understanding of the 1.4x is that it only works with the 200mm and longer lenses. I know that it does not work with the shorter lenses I have due to interference of the last lens element with the converter. Does the 1.4x work with the 120 soft? Also, is there any way to descrige the difference between the soft focus lens and a soft filter?

The reason why i want a soft focus lens instead of filters is the fact that one can adjust the amount of effect within boundariesofcourse and see on groundglass the effect.

I've just decided to buy the lense and will receive it friday night. So within a week or so i will be able to let you know my own experiences. I'll not be interested in the 1.4 times converter due to its price. I already have the 2x converter by vivitar. Am a little disappointed in its contrast when used together with the 200mm.

For portraits outside i intend to purchase a 165 4.0LS. Also because i can use both on my P645.

Jim,

You know, I didn't even stop to think if the 1.4x was compatible or not since I use the 2x Pentax (it's very good, btw) and just assumed it was also. I don't happen to have a P67 brochure near me to look it up, but hopefully someone else knows and can answer that question. [Heck, I've tried all kinds of setups, like using the 2x converter along with the Pentax bellows either close to the lens or close to the body, but that's another thread for another time.]

<p>

I think the lens has been designed to have spherical aberration, so the effect you'll get is much better than using a soft focus filter. I've used filters before and to me they tend to make things look similar to the way it looks when you are in a car looking outside with the windows fogging up on you. The soft focus lens by analogous comparison, is more like looking out throught the clear and non-fogged car window at the surrounding environment on a foggy day. YMMV, of course. Besides a B&W soft focus filter for my Rollei 6006, I've also had cheaper ones for a Canon 35mm. Don't remember the brand name, but it was a cheapie. Once I even took vaseline and smeared it on a UV filter. It was messy and I wasn't too pleased with that way of doing things.

<p>

NOTE: In the darkroom, you can try this: double expose your print, using 1/2 the exposure with the neg in focus, the other half exposed while you vary the focus plus and minus.