n2000 / F-301 or n2020 / f-501

jamiew

I am looking to purchase a N2000 or N2020 since they see to be

undervalued now, and are reportedly well built. Can someone answer

the following questions for me:

1) Does the camera have mirror lockup when using the self timer (like

the fe2)

2) How large is the camera (in relation to the fe2)?

3) What are the differences between the n2000 and n2020(AF) other

than the AF. I am trying to figure if I should even bother with the

4) Do either of the cameras have interchangable focusing screens?

5) WHat is the max shutter speed in AP exposure mode (The fe2

officially says 8, but I have found it goes way higher... just

wondering f this camera is similar)

Jamie,

I have an N2020 that I purchased new back in 1987 and I still use. I have never had a problem with it. It is small and lightweight and combined with a good prime like the 50/1.8 is great for hiking and backpacking. Here is a link to a page that has detailed specs on the camera http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/n2020.htm.

In answer to your specific questions with regard to the N2020:

1)It does not have mirror lock up.

2)5.8 x 3.8 x 2.1 in and 21.3 oz

3)I've never used the N2000 so I can't compare the two.

4)Yes. The N2020 can support type B, E, or J focusing screens.

http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/screens.htm

5)Shutter speed settings are from 1/2000 to 1 sec and bulb.

Hope this helps.

Well, my brother and father had N2000's.

As far as I can tell, Nikon took the N2000, and stuffed AF into the body and called it the N2020.

I never liked the feel of the N2020 compared to the N2000. It seemed bulky. Otherwise, I believe that they are the same camera feature wise, although, again, I like the feel of the lighter and smaller N2000 over the N2020.

Don't know if that late 1980's AF (1986 introduction) in the N2020 would really qualify as AF compared to today's stuff. The N2000 was introduced 1 year earlier (1985). The N2000 was produced until 1991, I believe, whereas the N2020 was perhaps made for only 2 years.

I have 2 20/20 and they have both proven to be very reliable the AF is slow but I dont use it often but it comes in handy and the prices are right.

I posted a question about the AF assist with the flash wich comes in handy I think Im getting a little night blind BUT I wish I could have the assist without the flash.

• 1 month later...
I can't comment on the n2000, but the n2020 come standard with a battery case that holds AAA size batteries. You can get a conveter (sorry don't recall the nikon part number) that will allow you to put AA batteries in the camera. It adds a little bulk to the bottom, but worth it IHMO.

• 5 months later...
The F-301 only has 2 program modes (F-501 has 3). The F-301 has a fixed focussing screen (F-501 can be changed). The AF on the F-501 is next to useless (AF on the F-401 is much better, but still not that good). Longest shutter speed in auto modes on both cameras is supposed to be 30 sec, but it will go longer. I have had four F-301s (2 of which got stolen, 1 was exchanged for my current mint model), Never had any mechanical problems with any of them, only the rubber on the hand-grip becoming stretched.