Kenai Fjords Kayak Trip Photo Gear?

mark_erickson

I'm going to be on a sea kayak trip for about two weeks in the

Kenai Fjords this summer. I'm planning on taking a couple

of SLR bodies along with wide-angle and normal lenses. I'm also

taking a small (Bogen 3001 with 3030 head) tripod.

<p>

Space is at a premium, and I'm trying to decide whether to bring

my 300mm F4.5 prime lens and maybe a 1.5x TC along. Space is

at a premium, so I'm kind of on the fence.

<p>

I'd love some advice!

<p>

Thanks,

<p>

--Mark

Mark, I think you may be surprised as to how close much of the wildlife will come to a boat or kayak. You may enjoy having the 300 particularly at camp at night when you can use the tripod, but you may not be too disappointed if you have to leave it behind. Many of the days here can be cloudy and lack light. Much of the time you will be unable to hand hold such a lens from your kayak anyway. Will space be at a premium? :>)

<p>

I live in Seward, which is where I assume you are beginning your trip. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to e-mail me direct.

I'm a kayaker/amateur photographer and wrestle w/same question repeatedly. I think you'd be better off w/ one slr body, your wide angle and a zoom of about 70 - 300. Leave off the converter, but take the tripod (for camp, of course). Maybe take a point & shoot for choppy on-water days. All fits in an on-deck dry bag, with the tripod stored in the cockpit (you'll want quick access at rest stops).In protected bays, you'll wish for the 300 to get that eagle perched high, or the otters rafting. You're never close enough. Have fun.