OT: Domke 803; Big enough for....

Off Topic:

If you need to move this to another forum I will understand.

I am posting this here because a lot of you are familiar with the

Domke 803 bag and, in addition to your Leica M kits, use Canon bodies

and lenses for your SLR.

Is the Domke 803 large enough to hold a Canon 1v with w/out a

booster, a midrange L zoom (like the 28-80/2.8-4.0 L), 550ex, a few

filters, and film (5-10 rolls) with out being stuffed to the max?

If there were not room using the large zoom lens, would it hold the

same equipment with a 24 and 85 primes instead of the L zoom?

I have checked all the local shops for 803 but no one has anything I

can try.

Thanks

I don't have any Canon gear, but I did also have a difficult time finding a retailer with stock of this bag. I arranged with the Canadian distributor to have them ship one to a local retailer for me to check out. I bought it for my M kit tho...lovely.

Scott:

My answer applies to the nylon J803 (though I think it is the same dimensions as the canvas F803). The critical dimension will be the height of the camera body. I am not sure of the height of the 1v, but I do know that my F100 fits in just fine, along with an 85, 35 and 20 (or similar sized lenses) and still has room for a flash or extra body. Don't expect a lot of padding or structure, its not designed for that. I did add a layer of closed-cell foam to the bottom, and just drop the body with lens attached in on its side so that the grip is facing up. That big L zoom may be tight but if you slide the padded column all the way to one side it should work. The flash (or smaller lenses) will fit inside the padded column.

The J803 is a great bag for travel, I've hauled mine half-way around the world twice, plus many shorter trips. To deal with the lack of padding in the back (only an issue when lying it down, say on a plane) I just slide the whole bag into a daypack or small duffle in which I have laid a sheet of closed-cell foam. Consider swaping the strap for an OpTech SOS neoprene. Really does make a difference.

Hope this helps.

Its a great bag - SLR stuff will fit but the critical dimention for me is the length of the lens, a prime will normally fit so long as you don't keep anything in the left hand pocket, a large L zoom will probably make thigns too tight.

I normally kit my out with an F series body, with a 50/35/24 mounted and a 105 lens in the padded colum and a flash beside that.

Probably one of the best bags every made.

Dave

it's a great bag which can hold tons of equipment. just last weekend i filled it up with M + three lenses, bronica SQA with prism attached, sf20, large lightmeter, samll point and shoot and a few rolls of film. it nearly broke my back, but it fitted. the only drwback i am bemoaning wuth this bag is that there is no zipper to close the main compartment, which can be advisable when in dirty surroundings. the bag is rather slim though, so any deep camera like a modern slr with booster and large zoom bulges the whole thing quite a bit.

I have the J803. My 1V body (even with PB-E1 booster) will fit, but not with a lens attached, at least not without contorting the bag into a ridiculous shape. There's room enough next to it for something the size of the 28-80/2.8-4 (but not a 24-70/2.8 or any of the 70-200/2.8's). You might be able to get a 550EX into the front pocket in front of the body but it'd be a really tight squeeze.

PS...I also strongly recommend the OP-TECH SOS straps...even if you have to cut of the OEM strap to use one. With the J803 the strap is removable.

Siting here with a new Domke 803 I just ordered the inside

dimentions are 31cm x 21cmx 8cm or 12"x7.5"x3" on the new

one smidge larger .5 to1cm all around then my older Domke

803 .

The canvas Domke stuff has a tendiny of shaping to what you

carry .

A full sized slr will fit with small prime or short zoom and

telephoto (or Leica M) in the lens compartment .

Also of note rummur I heard was that aparantly Tiffen bought the

Saunders group who bought Domke years ago , and Tiffen is

having prob .....

So getting domke stuff might be difficult or imposable in the not

so near future .

Photovillage had the 803 last week .

Charles is absolutely right about the Tiffen/Saunders/Domke situation. I ran around NYC last week looking for a Domke F-806 and a particular Zing pouch. Both are brands now owned by Tiffen. Neither B&H nor Adorama had any of what I wanted. I was told a both places that they can't get new product for any line owned by Tiffen (filters included).

I did finally find the bag at Smile camera on 35th, so you may have to do some hunting around to find the particular bag you want.

<p>I have the bag so I did a quick test for you. Photo attached.

<p>I was able to fit an EOS 3 w/ BP-E1, 28-135 IS w/ hood attached, and the 550EX w/ Omnibounce attached. Film and filters would have fit into the outside two outside pockets. But then the bag is pretty much at capacity. Adding anything else would really require overstuffing the bag.

<p> The 28-135 IS was a little tight in that center divider with the lens hood attached, but the 28-80/2.8L should be smaller without the hood. Taking the BP-E1 off the body would have helped.

<p>Now having said that it <i>would</i> work, it certainly wouldn't be an easy setup to shoot out of because you obviously couldn't leave the lens attached. Since the top flap is not really sealed, I'd want to keep a body cover and rear lens covers on the lenses. This would make for a slow process to put the camera out and shoot.

<p>The beauty of the bag for rangefinder use is that you can leave the lenses attached. I have even carried a rangefinder plus a Canon A-1 with a lens or two in this thing, but it really got too heavy for comfort.

<p>If your only interest is transporting the stuff, then it would be okay. However, I'd have to guess that there would be many ways to transport gear if keeping it disassembled were an option. Even a regular soft briefcase would work.

<p>Good luck.<div>0057Ao-12761784.jpg.1cee99dbeabd39e5fa6ac503678faace.jpg</div>

Wow! Thanks to all of you for your help.

I really appreciate all the effort some of you went to. I think you all have saved me quite a bit of time, and few bucks.

Unfortunately it appears that the 803 will be too small if I want to use the zoom. I will have to see what other bags would work.

Many thanks.

<p>Scott,

<p>If trying to fit the lens is you biggest objection, I think you could work it out. It should fit into the center padded divider without a hood attached. You could also move the divider over towards the body and carry the flash in the center, leaving a bit more room for the lens.

<p>As I said, I think it would work... but shooting out of it would be tough.

<p>Bill