best take anywhere camera

jamiew

I am looking for the best take anywhere camera (no SLR cameras

please). A camera that will survive a dip in the pond, the dirt of

the desert, mud in the jungle, and still take good photographs. THe

primary use of this camera will not be to take pictures underwater,

but it might need to be used with me partically in water (i.e.

rafting). Other than knowing that the camera will survive hostile

environments my primary consideration is picture quality.

I have seen mention of a WR pentax, a few waterproof P&S camers, but

that's about it. They all seen to sacrifice image qualtiy. Any

suggestions?

I have the Pentax 105WR. I also had the predecessor model, the Pentax 90WR, before that. But it got stolen, so I bought the 105WR to replace it. Pentax also offers a 95WR. These are very good, very tough, very weather-resistant cameras. I highly recommend them if you want something rugged and water-resistant, that also delivers good optical quality. You just have to remember to keep the front of the lens clean because it doesn't have a have a closing lens cover. Instead, it has a tough, protective glass lens element that is always exposed. But at least you can clean it off by rinsing it in water. I've been pleased with the picture quality for a point-n-shoot.

If you want a camera that you can drop in a pond and keep shooting with, you need an underwater camera, even if you are not taking it diving.

There are still a few Nikonos available new, at Robert White (www.robertwhite.co.uk). It is a famously tough system and there are various lenses available. There is also stuff available secondhand.

Another option would be to look at waterproof housings for a conventional camera.

This doesn't exactly answer yoour question, but if you can refrain from throwing your camera in the pond regularly, you have a lot of choice. I would suggest a Canon Sureshot as a rugged take anywhere camera. It's not waterproof but it survives normal environments very well. Keep it in a plastic bag while you're white water rafting.

I have a Canon A1, bought cheap from the auction. I've been quite pleased with it's performance as a normal p&s, but disappointed using it as an underwater camera. It's rugged though & now gets mostly used by the kids, & on the beach when I don't want to bring anything expensive. I've thrown it 30ft to my kids in the pool without any harm, oh, and it floats, which can be useful. Bottom line is it's cheap enough not to worry about, and so far, tough enough to survive.

I have a Ricoh GR1v and regularly take it climbing, hiking, etc. and have been very impressed with both the image quality and its ruggedness. NOT waterproof, but its magnesium casing will definitely withstand hard knocks (I have mine clipped to my harness most of the time along with qd's and pro!). I don't have too much scanned, but I can send you some stuff if you need it.

bboard@photo.net wrote:

> I am looking for the best take anywhere camera (no SLR cameras please). A camera that will survive a dip in the pond, the dirt of the desert, mud in the jungle, and still take good photographs. THe primary use of this camera will not be to take pictures underwater, but it might need to be used with me partically in water

I'm rather fond of my Nikon Action Touch. You can see it at http://www.flock.org/cameras/model.php?modelid=135&modelname=Action%20Touch&manufacturer=Nikon , which has links to a page of photos I took with it. It's waterproof to 15 or 20 feet, has a reasonable lens, and is autofocus. And, it seems reasonably rugged. It's not available new, but they turn up used now and then.

Bruce Feist

Hi Jamie,

Last time I went rafting I took a waterproof Fuji disposable. Don't laugh, it was waterproof, took very respectable pictures, and best of all I had no worries about wrecking an expensive camera. The trip was on the Wisconsin river and we got soaked. The pictures were much better than I hoped for. Try one out for about $15, what do you have to lose??

Have a great trip.

Another good used option: a Minolta Weathermatic Dual 35mm. Great snorkeling camera but more importantly, I didn't mind letting my 6 year olds use it at the beach. Waterproof, sand proof and it floats. It has a dual 35mm/3.5 and 50mm/5.6 lens. About $80-100 USD, maybe less now. Make sure you do not get the 110 film Weathermatic A. Also, try to find the Dual complete with the accessory finder if you want to use it underwater.

The cheapest solution is a one-time use waterproof camera, which gives better pictures than you might expect. $125 will get you a Canon ELPH Sport, which is waterproof, but I wouldn't recommend the APS format if your aim is quality. The Canon A1 is probably the next step up and is under $200 if I recall correctly.

Jamie

my Minolta weathermatic has taken a beating round the world for 8+ years now and still takes great photos. It is waterproof to 5 meters claimed - I have taken it to 20 metres regularly then 22 meters where it made a grinding noise and stopped, only to start again on the surface. It usually lives on the end of my float line (spearfishing) and gets dragged over coral & rocks all the time. Eventually the seal on the lens change button was holed and I repaired it with a air bed repair kit.. still waterproof 2 years later.

Keep the seals really clean and slightly greased and you won't be able to kill this camera.