rolleiflex f operation

jt991

although I`ve already run a *test* film through this newly acquired

camera (new to `flexes but not `cords) I should have checked whether

the shutter speed can be selected after as well as before winding on.

The on line copy of the manual doesn`t cover this... but I guess it

doesn`t matter. Seem to recall that on certain Rollei TLRs that if

1/500 was chosen, this speeed had to be set before winding on.

And what if the camera is empty... ok to check out the shutter speeds

just by winding the crank around as the multiple exposure option

differs from the Vb ?

I never had problems to select 1/500 sec after cocking the shutter with one of my Fs. I think the older shutters had problems with this. And it's no problem to check the shutter speed or the film transport if the camera is empty.

Congratulations, you've got a great camera. Check everything carefully and spend your Rolleiflex a CLA if it's necessary, and it will serve you many, many years. Good luck.

Thanks Harry & Richard

Should have known it was ok..after all it is a Compur & Rollei combination. Already I`m *hooked* and glad I spent all that money !

Just one more observation. Only when the shutter is cocked, there`s quite a bit of resistance shifting from 1/30 to 1/15 - which I hope is normal. I know that its a different size shutter than the one in my `cord VB so maybe this is why. Or is an extra spring or something brought into action for speeds below 1/30? I`m a bit worried by the extra effort required .... even though the camera was serviced before I got it. I`m likely to be using speeds slower than 1/30 quite often - e.g. when photographing within a Cathedral interior straight after using the camera outside.

(Rolleiflex 2.8.f Planar f2.8 lens)

I have got your mail, James. I have a 2.8F and two 3.5F (type 2 and 3). All three feel a little bit different if I rotate the shutter speed dial, two have good to feel click-stops, one 3.5F has not so clear defined click-stops. But maybe this camera should have a cleaning inside. But - there are no differences, neither with cocked shutter nor with released shutter. The resistance is the same, the whole range from 1 second to 1/500. I feel a little bit more resistance if I change into the green range (bulb). I would not really worry about the resistance if it's not very clear to feel. Maybe there's a little bit dirt inside and this disappears if you use it somewhile. Hope this helps and - pardon my English, please. Contact me if you need more information.

Hello All,

<P>

The Rolleiflex F, does not use a Compur shutter, it uses a Synchro-Compur shutter. The 1/500th can be selected at any time, and the shutter speeds can be cocked with out film with no problems. On Eariler Rollei products that had a Compur-Rapid the 1/500th could only be selected when the the shutter was not tensioned.

<P>

The Synchro-Compur has a short "barrel" type coil spring that is very prone to fatigue, do not advance the film and tension the shutter after taking the last picute, set it on a shelf for 3 months, and forget about it. When you return the spring will be weak, and probably need replacement. Also, after taking the last picture (on a roll) fire the self timer and let it un-tension the shutter and then put the camera away.

<P>

Hope this helps,

<P>

Mark

Conclusion

I asked the Rollei TLR expert whom I know about the resistance felt when changing speed from 1/30 to 1/15 with a cocked shutter. Evidently not that uncommon, caused by engagement of slow-speed cam, but no cause for alarm. If I can`t live with it (i.e. regard it as intolerable) he`ll fix it for 30GBP (which I understand is the standard minimum charge) plus return postage.

Thanks to all contributors to this thread for their several inputs.