Any issues on B+W e55 filters

Wondering if any of you's have had any vignetting issues while using

a wide angle filter like the E55 B+W filters. I have some Heliopan

filters which are made in "SLIM VERSION" but for some reason addorama

nor B&H have any in stock at this moment and bought the B+W.

Your Thoughts

Thanks

Felix,

No problems. I have used 39mm/46mm/E55/60mm/58mm/67mm/77mm B+W filters, they are simply the best out there. The MRC version is particularly stellar, hard to tell there is even a filter on! I've also used heliopan, and while it is good (slightly above Hoya), not really up to the grade of B+W (caveat: I'm sure a heliopan dealer/distributor will chime in to convince you otherwise, but that's hardly disinterested talk, can't remember his name but the well-worn song and dance is always the same).

For what it is worth, I now only buy B+W for all my systems. No vignetting to speak of on any of the filter sizes, although if you are particularly worried, B+W offers a lot of them in the "slim" versions as well, but the regular MRC versions have worked just fine for me. Good luck.

I used a B+W MRC E55 on my v.1 Tri-Elmar, 21/2.8ASPH-M, and 28/2.8-R (those are the widest Leica lenses I've owned that take E55)without any vignetting. Leica recommends a slim filter for the v.2 Tri-Elmar so I bought one but it's a PITA because the Leica snap-cap has nowhere to snap. Tried the standard E49 and it works fine. I also used a standard-rim E48 MRC on my 21/3.4 S/A, and use an E39 MRC on my 21/4 Skopar. The E72 MRC is one of the few filters that will not vignette the 21/4-R and also not touch the front element.

Although the metal ring of B+W filters can be quite thick, they do

not create vignetting at all. I have an old version R 28/2.8 wich

has the odd 48 mm. I use the B+W MRC filters with that wide

angle lens with no problems, I always use B+W with my Leica

glass. and also I have a very nice Heliopan slim circular polarizer

and a slim circular pol by Rodenstock good brands too.

I don't like B+W MRC filter at all. I have used them but I found they are quite dusty from the new box. Also they are more difficult to clean and easy to attract dirt. When I was wiping it with my lens cloth, I can feel more resistent (not quite smooth though) than my Heliopan filters. I don't know what it is but I think it might be the coating. Heliopan also claims that they are using true lens glass for their filters. Well it just my limitted experience. I don't want starting a "Filter War" since many people like it.

I have only recently bought two B+W MRC 49mm filters for a Contax / Zeiss Tessar 45mm f2.8 (that I could'nt find Contax filters for.)

I have a Yellow and a UV 010 MRC.

They are both excellent and clean up with no trouble at all. I always use Pentax microfibre cloths which cost £3 from the local opticians. (I can especially recommend the red Paisley or the Seahorses design.)

All of my 55mm Filters for my Planar , Sonnar and Distagon lenses are made by Contax and never vignette on any lens especially the 28mm Distagon, which would be the most likely to. (Mind you, I have never stacked filters.)

I have one Heliopan filter, a Zeiss Softar 1 55mm

All of these filters are made from brass (which never binds) and multi-coated Schott glass (except the Softar) and have never given me any problem. (Unlike Hoya which I could never go back to using. Shudder.)

<i>I don't like B+W MRC filter at all. I have used them but I found they are quite dusty from the new box.</i>

<p>My experience is the opposite - I bought six brand new in box Heliopan multicoated filters about a year ago and returned them all because <b>every single one</b> had smudges on the glass that wouldn't come off no matter what I did (Lenspen, alcohol, you name it), and a couple actually had scratches. On the other hand, every B+W MRC filter I've bought so far (about 15-20) has been flawless. Right now all my B+W filters are the new F-Pro series.

<p><i> Also they are more difficult to clean and easy to attract dirt. When I was wiping it with my lens cloth, I can feel more resistent (not quite smooth though) than my Heliopan filters.</i>

<p>I find my B+W filters very easy to clean with just a blower bulb and a Lenspen.

<p><i>Heliopan also claims that they are using true lens glass for their filters.</i>

<p>I believe both companies use Schott optical glass for their filters. The difference for me is quality control, and convenience of purchase.

After going back home, I have rechecked all my B+W MRC filters (3 of them) and Heliopan filters (6 of them) and I found one of my lens cloths (of three) when using will give more resistant feeling than the other two on both B+W and Heliopan filters. Yes, it was my mistake to give wrong information but I still doubt brand B is better than brand H just from my own experience.