Barrel lenses, why not?

matthijs_noome

I am considering buying a Pacemaker Speed Graphic, a camera fitted

with a focal plane shutter. This enables me to use cheap barrel

lenses. Since I've read that these lenses were originally used in

reproduction work, I am unsure if they are the right choice for me.

(distortion, stopping down to f8 only, etc.)

I am completely new to large format photography and would like to

start off with landscape photography (wide angle) first, perhaps

doing some portrait work later (250mm or so).

So, regarding the fact that I will not need a complete array of focal

lenghts, that I am a newbie to LF and want to go cheap; should I go

for the barrel lenses or not?

I think you're confused about barrel lenses. Process lenses are designed for the printing industry. These may be barrel lenses or they may have been mounted in shutters. Other barrel lenses might be no different then lenses with shutters. Other then the lack of the shutter of course. Since you want wide angle process lenses aren't likely to be right for you. Not because they are in a barrel but because the lenses tend to have limited coverage. You could get wide angle lens in a barrel. That could be fine for yyou.

It's likely the only time you'll ever use the lens wide open is to focus. I don't remember how long the bellows are on a pacemaker but you might want to check they are long enough for the long lens you want to use.

Go to www.graflex.org. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

What size Speed Graphic? 2x3, 3x4, or 4x5?

Most of the inexpensive lenses around in barrel are either short macro lenses, e.g., Tominon lenses for the Polaroid MP-4 system, with limited coverage at infinity or much longer process lenses. Short barrel lenses with much coverage are very rare. Long process lenses are abundant.

The problem with the long ones is that they're long focus lenses, not telephotos. Graphics have relatively short bellows, 4x5s are around 12". The difference is that a telephoto lens has shorter back focus than usual for a lens of that focal length. For example, the 12"/4 Taylor Hobson telephoto, as used in Vinten F95 and Agiflite aerial cameras. Covers 4x5, back focus (rear element to film, not flange to film) at infinity is around 85 mm. I shoot one on a 2x3 Speed. Out of your price range. I also shoot a 210/9 Konica Hexanon GRII. Something like that might do for you.

IF you want to do it on the cheap, get a Pacemaker Graphic (Speed, Crown, makes no difference) with a 127 or 135 in shutter and go shoot. Don't predefine what you need. I mean, there's a reason why the majority of shots are taken with a normal (for the format) lens. Learn more before spending much.

hi there matthijs:

i have a pacemaker speed graphic and use barrel lenses with it all the time.

it is a great camera.

barrel lens just refers to the fact that the lens is not mounted in a shutter. you

will be able to find brass lenses in a barrel ( rapid rectalinears, darlots,

dallameyer &C) without a problem ( for your landscapes and portraits) and

longer focal lenghts more modern lenses also came in barrel format - for the

long lenses, i am thinking of the 10" and 15" tele optar lenses as well as the g-

clarons, brassies and regular old enlarging lenses.

except for the g-claron you can find them all for 20-100$.

best of luck!

- john

Ditto what Dan said. Try starting with a 127 or 135 lens made for the Graphic with shutter mounted. These lenses are available just as cheap as a barrel lens. Start haunting e-bay or the photo shows. You said a 250 for portraits. I picked up a Ektar 203 f7.7 for $50. with shutter. This lens is very small, light and highly rated. It also has good coverage for a Graphic lens. If you need wider than the 127 the 90 mm Optar f6.8 can be had for a song. The only limit on the Graflex type lenses are limited movements. For landscape photos you can use them on any camera as they handel back tilt fine. Plus small and light, nice to carry. 2or3 Graphex lenses = 1 any brand 150 f5.6 for size and weight.

For small-read short focal length lenses for 4x5, you may want to look for a 105 Staeble or a 135mm Ultragon/repromaster. They are very sharp and have excellent coverage and contrasty too. They sell for approx $30-50 depending on condition. You can get non process WA lenses but you do have to do a bit more searching, I once found a 75mm Goerz Rectagon in barrel for $75 and thought I won the Lotto!

Older barrel WA lenses like Aristostigmats, Velostigmats of series III design are good too, if you like less contrasty images then take a peep at the Extreme Wide Angle designs of Wollensack and Gundlach denoted by their F16 starting apertures-they have wonderful shadow detail and rich midtones but as I said not as contrasty.

Hope that helps!

CP Goerz

There are also an abundance of lenses out there, wideangle included, with shutters that are poor or do not work at all speeds. Repairing these shutters can be very expensive. These are ideal until you know what focal lengths you would like to use often. Later when you can afford to you can replace the lens or repair the shutter. This is exactly how I am using my Speed Graphic to learn 4x5!

The focal plane shutter in my 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic is dead on, although I still do not trust the 1000th speed..

My main gripe is that the focal plane shutter lacks speeds under 1/30th of a second. This might not be a big deal to you. I can manually trip the shutter (T speed) and get about a second, more or less..

I paid $14 for a 10" Kodak Anastigmat and $50 for a 15" Wollensak Tele-Optar. Both are huge and require the bellows to be extended all the way to the end. I cringe thinking about my bellows being stretched that far.

BTW, many of those older lenses are excellent. My 10" anastigmat is sharp! Sharper than my 135 Graflex Optar. Haven't used the Tele-Optar enough so I won't comment on that.

Also, I've never had any problems with shutter shake. Sharp as a tack.

-phillip