Rangefinder Envy

For most of the past year, I've been shooting with my M6 or

digital / film point-and-shoots. Yesterday I pulled out my SLR in

order to shoot my daughter's rugby game using longer lenses.

On the first photo I thought the camera was broken because of the

viewfinder blackout when the mirror flipped up. It took a few

frames to get used to this "feature."

Then I took the same camera to an awards event in the evening in

order to finish off the film. People kept turning around and

looking at me after each shot until I realized how noisey the motor

drive was. My daughter asked why I wasn't using my "quiet camera."

-Nick

My other camera is a Bronica ETRSi. When you take a picture the viewfinder blacks out...and stays that way. There's a satifying "finality" to taking a photo with the Bronny, as if it's saying, "OK, that's your shot, hope you were happy with it because you're not getting another".

The viewfinder does black out on m EOS 1V's and Nikon F's--for a fraction of a second--but I've rarely been as surprised with what unexpectly turned up in the shot nearly as many times as with the Leica, if I don't stop and carefully consider how much more than the framelines show will actually be on film. Everything has an advantage and a disadvantage.

Blackout is not really a big deal to me either. The only time I really care or notice is when I am using a flash, especially as the batteries get low. "Did the flash go off?" Never can tell with the SLR. Of course, I rarely use the flash on my Hexar, so what do I know. Different tools, different jobs.

I've been using my R6.2 lately (after resting it for a year). I agree with Jay here, it's

nice for a change to be able to see the DOF and what's actually in the frame! Yes, the

camera is louder than an M, but doing some candids last night I found that people

barely noticed (or cared)! The damped "ker-thunk" sound is oddly satisfying too -

not the wimpy little "click" of the M. :?)

<i>"Did the flash go off?" Never can tell with the SLR.</i>

<p>The simple trick I use is to just keep both eyes open at the moment of the shot. This might not work if you have a really small face or a really huge SLR, but it works fine for me, and it wasn't too hard to figure out either. This rangefinder vs. SLR masturbation gets really ridiculous at times...

Most Hasselblads 'black-out' until you crank the film advance. Garbage, right? Don't

know how anyone ever made a significant image with one of those.

Yah, great. Leicas are quiet. Still, though, not the quietest. Leicas are good for a few

things. But, strangely, you didn't complain about the Leica not being usable with long

lenses. Or macro. Or action....

Why do we keep doing this? Use a hammer when you need a hammer, and a wrench

when you need a wrench. And, don't complain that the wrench sucks for driving nails.

You know, Nick, just wind your film manually with a manual focus SLR and there'd be a lot less noise. If that's still not quiet enough, you can always get a Contaflex/Bessamatic/Ultramatic or whatever with a leaf shutter. Doing daylight fill-flash is much easier too.

If you MUST HAVE AF, just use a digital. ;)

Nicholas, I know what you mean. I used to shoot with a Minolta SLR. Then I shot for

2-3 years straight with just Leica M and LTM. About six months ago I decided that I

needed an SLR again and added a R6.2 to my arsenal. The first time I took the R out,

the black out and noise caught me by surprise. I had completely forgotten what it was

like. Different tools for different jobs.

cheers,

feli