If Art is not shown, what is it?

travis1

Peter Apo's recent query about the "origin" of "orginality" is a good

one, because it asked how/why one decide what is art and what is not.

I have been asked many times :" If an explosion goes off somewhere

and nobody is around to hear it, is there Sound?".. or thereabouts.

So if an artist were to keep all his art and Not shown to anyone at

anytime, are they/there still art?

Seems like art is to be seen to be appreciated, and not imagined.

Like sound to be heard, of an explosion.

First off Travis...although an interesting question in the past, the 'if a tree falls in the forest' is kinda bogus. Any definition of sound revolves around the movement of wave through the air...which happens whether you are there or not. I think it was probably the humanists who started asking if it was really sound without a ear to hear it. Again I'll use my old standby, Van Gogh. In his short art career (he only spend 8 years painting), his works were hardly shown at all...spending most of their time in the possession of his brother who tried, pretty much unsuccessfully to have them shown. So did they not become art till after he died and were 'discovered' so to speak? If so what were they before...just paint spattered on some canvas? I don't think so. Art is the creation of something concrete from ones imagination...whether you bother showing it to anyone is your (the artists) business and has no bearing (IMO) as to whether on not it is art.

<I> I think it was probably the humanists who started asking if it was really sound

without a ear to hear it. </I><P>I think you might be wrong Bob. my understanding

is that this is one of the first of the Zen Buddhist riddles about the nature of

awareness of self / existence to be popularized in the West. Another one is "what is

the sound of one hand clapping?".

Art, shown or not shown, is still art. If shown then it is Seen art, and hopefully appreciated. If it is not shown then it is Unknown art.

Some really crap crafts became famous pieces of art simply due to marketing, while some profound pieces never ever got shown and thus never made it to the collective popular memory.

I know that I exist. But because you have never seen or heard of me before, what am I to you?

IMHO, Art is only Art when someone qualified declares it Art.<br>

I think of it this way; there are things that are free, there are things that have a price and there are things that are priceless. The "thing" is a thing regardless of the human factor but the price or lack of has to be determined by a qualified human.

"Art" comes from the word "artificial."

<br>Some modern artists try to challenge this definition

<br>by exhibiting "real" art (like a toilet.) Whatever.

<br>If a tree falls in the forest, it does make a sound, because God hears it.

for the beck's futures price (some say this is the new turner price) here in london an artist did a piece wich will never be shown. beck's had to sign a disclosure agreement. now it is going to be hidden and noone will ever see it. is it art? or is it just a conceptual piece of crap? i think, as it starts the discussion and makes people think and discuss it and art in itself, it is art, though i think it really sucks. even bad and boring art is art.