Trip to Canadian Rockies

loree_bentley

I am planning a trip to the Canadian Rockies area this year,

specifically Yoho, Banff and Jasper. Is Kootenay National Park worth

visiting? What is the best time of year to go? Any suggestions on

what not to miss? I do not necessarily need to hit all of

the "tourist" spots, but ideas are welcome.

Hi Loree,

I�ve been to that area once and it was in mid June. I thought the scenery was most beautiful. Our only problem was we had few clear blue-sky days. It rained for parts of four days and when it cleared, there was a double layer of clouds so we never got a clear blue sky. The clouds were good but not enough blue was more robins� egg blue so the sky didn�t stand out as well as I wanted.

The "glacier highway" from Banff toward Jasper is just outstanding! The Jasper area is marvelous for photographing elk (large herds as well as small groups of bulls). Mid-summer, before the rut starts in September, is a great time to photograph groups of impressive bulls together, especially along the road a few miles north of Jasper). Maligne Lake offers early morning "mist on water" scenes and great mirror images of the glacial mountains (and no gas outboards motors to spoil the magic) by late morning. I didn't find anything quite as compelling in Kootenai.

My favorite spot was the Athabasca Glacier, and the area around that. But then, I'm into austere landscapes and love winter, LOL! We went in early June last time, and had to hike through several feet of snow up Mt. Revelstoke. It was cloudy every day and snowed on us most days. The first time we went, it was late July and the sky was prettier. The flowers were out too. So were the bugs. One thing I'll mention is that you should not plan too much on a single trip. The roads up there are very slow. I'm used to driving 80 mph where I live but you can generally only drive 40-50 mph around there, and not even that during peak season when all the RV's and camper trailers are on the road. You need to pick out a few things you most want to see and take it from there. I would also make reservations if going during peak season.

Kent in SD

I travelled through all the parks you mentioned last September.

Kootenay is nice, the hot springs are certainly relaxing.

All of the parks are essentially of a piece, it is just one area,

that has been divided, so afterwards you'll be thinking did I take

that photo in Yoho, or was it Jasper ??

It doesn't really matter..they are ALL beautiful.

September is a good time to visit because there are no bugs,lots of wildlife, and fewer people.

However in late Sept. there are also fewer campsites open.

This Spring there is a ton of snow still falling, and in the summer,

there are too many people.

What sort of photography are you after, wildlife or scenic? Any particular species of wildlife or any specific behavior? There is so much there it boggles the mind, but not all is available throughout the year. Jasper is the most un-spoiled but it is all beautiful. I have been dozens of times form early spring (May there) to late fall (end of September) and I rarely get bad weather. Maybe I�m lucky. Let us know what you are after and I can give more specifics.<div>005578-12673084.jpg.38ac0b01f971dd752b107ebefe700610.jpg</div>

I appreciate all of the suggestions! In response to Bill's question, I am primarily looking for landscape/scenic shots rather than wildlife and would say I am most interested in Jasper and Yoho. I am thinking of going the end of June-first week of July?

I have visited these parks both in mid-June and late July. The weather was definitely more pleasant in late July, but the crowds of people were much worse. For scenic photography I found that Banff and Jasper offered many opportunities to photograph mountains reflecting in lakes at sunrise that were simply spectacular. Try Moraine Lake in Banff NP at sunrise, from either the canoe dock or the rockpile. I also got nice shots about one half hour after sunrise from the stream that spills out the end of Moraine Lake. Lake Louise in Banff from the rear of the Chateau Lake Louise is also nice at sunrise, but too crowded later in the day. In the Lake Louise vicinity is Herbert Lake, which is about 2 or 3 miles north from the start of the Icefields Parkway. Herbert Lake is really a pond, but its small size means the water is usually more still and provides better reflections at sunrise. Just north of there is Peyto Lake, best photographed from underneath the viewing platform. All four of these lakes are within a 20 minute drive of Lake Louise, and are also all essentially roadside shots. If you want to do sunrise photography in these locations, plan on staying in the Lake Louise area, and not in Banff township, as this is at least about 40 minutes to the south of these sunrise locations. Drive the Icefields parkway from Lake Louise to Jasper, 3 hours one way, this is one of the most scenic drives in north America. In Jasper my favorite locations are Pyramid Lake at sunrise for reflections (lots of elk here too), the Angel Glacier hike near Mt. Edith Cavell (a must do hike to the toe of a glacier and a small glacial lake)and Maligne Lake at sunset. I also enjoyed driving the Maligne Lake road ad Rt. 16 out of Jasper, west or east looking for wildlife. In late June there will be more wildlife, but less flowers present, than in late July. Maligne Canyon in Jasper was also a nice sidetrip, with ice filled gorges and waterfalls. Enjoy this very beautiful part of Canada, the landscapes can be very dramatic in the right light.

Hi Loree,

I have been to most of the parks you mentioned in september 2000. Here are some suggestions, escpecially for landscape photography.

- From Banff townsite drive north, then onto the Bow Valley Parkway. This is a very beautiful scenic road with highlights like Moose meadows and Castle mountain. After about 32 miles this road leads you back on the main Icefields parkway. Here you can choose to return to Banff or drive towards Lake Louise. Just don't miss this road....!

- Kootenay is also nice, you have some great views at the river and the mountains driving south towards the miette hot springs.

- At the Athabasca glacier: I hiked up onto Wilcox pass, opposite of the glacier. Here you have a decent view of the glacier and the mountains surrounding it.

For a look at some of the shots made during this trip, check out my portfolio:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/presentation.tcl?presentation_id=181774

Enjoy !

Most of the good areas have been mentioned,however you might wish to visit Kananaskis Country about 20 miles south of the eastern Banff gate. I worked there 30 years ago at the Kananaskis Forest Experiment Station.Mount Kidd, Mt Lorette, Barrier, Wedge Mountain,are all accesible and have excellent trails for walking or biking. The East Slope Conservation area has a good gravel road which takes you down the east ridge of the Rockies from the Highwood summit to Cranbrook where you can cross the rockies into kootnay Lake country. You might want to visit Fort Steele a preserved Royal Canadian Mounted Police outpost ,many old log buildings with interesting artifacts.The old paddle wheel ferry stored at Kootnay Lake is picturesque.

While at Lake Louise you might want to hike up from the lodge on the right side of the lake to the Plaine of the 6 glaciers and on up to Abbots Pass under the glacier on the east peak of Mt Washington >There are great ice slides comming off this glacier all day long in July falling 2000 feet into Abotts Pass.It is advisable to take a mountaneering guide for this hike. You can descend into the Valley of the Seven Peaks by this route. Dont attempt this hike unless you are prepared for a thirty mile hike with about a 3000foot climb.<div>0055O9-12682684.thumb.jpg.580cf988a9f5a6013f2a8e444838b0f0.jpg</div>

I second the vote for Moraine Lake. I was there 30 years ago as a little boy and my dad got a great photo. I am looking forward to making the trip you are planning. My mom painted a picture of Lake Louise many years before, and seeing the real thing was spectacular. All in late July, 1973. Have a good trip!

Well Loree, If it is scenics you're after a then this is the right place. All through the areas you are considering the scenery is breath taking. I would suggest that, even though you can get great shots from the side of the road and off the well followed trails, try doing a little exploring. Walk rail line, down creek beds, alongside rivers and anywhere else less traveled. You will still have all the glorious scenery, but you will be seeing it and photographing it from fresh angles. Also, bring a compass along and use it to help get a good idea when and where the best light will be. Vary your shooting times to co-inside with various lighting angles. Most of all have fun and explore.<div>0056GZ-12722584.jpg.4174638485a694d3ce1d70fa4b52de5b.jpg</div>