My setup is EOS 3, 550EX with Omni-Bounce diffuser. The diffuser

manual mentioned "there are no adjustments other than the

manufacturers indicated maximum distance being reduce by a factor of

2.5. The automation of your camera and the pre-flash will determine

that you have proper exposure". Without using the pre-flash, can I

use the flash bracketing instead?

Thanks,

Jude

Please accept my apologies for not being clear. I am not sure what the Omni-Bounce meant by: "manufacturers indicated maximum distance being reduce by a factor of 2.5".

With this factor of 2.5 should I do flash exposure compensation? If so, with your experience, how many stops? I do plan to test and use flash bracketing to see the best flash exposure.

To be honest, this is just out of curiousity. I see other used a diffuser and instead of asking why, I'll just try it myself. I want to see the result with and without a diffuser. Hope to get some of your input so as to advance my test.

Thank you,

Jude

PS: sorry but I have a little story to share while I am writting this. I can't help but laugh: My 8 year old son asked his 9 year brother where is Asia while holding a globe. My older son answered "from North America keep going right you won' missed it.".

You don't need to apply any exposure compensation when using the Stofen Omni-Bounce because the camera reads the preflash and sets the flash output commensurately; it doesn't know the Omni-Bounce is there and doesn't care.

Stofen is only saying that the maximum distance of the flash coverage is reduced due to light losses because of the spreading and diffusion of the light.

BTW, the Omni-Bounce works great.

Great. I am quite confident with my EOS 3 and 550EX combination, but it made me think if I can make it better with a diffuseer.

Okay, I'll do some testing, but again to be honest, I will bracket the flash at 1/4 increment to see the effect.

Thank you,

Jude

From Bill: "Stofen is only saying that the maximum distance of the flash coverage is reduced due to light losses because of the spreading and diffusion of the light."

With the lost of light, I am thinking that my subject indoor might end up with a really dark background (if not black). Hmm, I am wondering if ISO 400 and this setup will give me a great result.

Jude

Stofen recommends the flash be angled up 45 degrees when used indoors as long as there are light colored (preferably white) walls and ceiling. The beauty of it is that you get a combination of direct and bounced flash from the walls as well as the ceiling.

Unless your room is extremely large, you will not notice any dramatic falloff of light because of the bounce effect. I have taken pictures of my living room (about 15' deep and 18' wide) with the Omni-Bounce and a wide angle zoom set at about 20mm with ISO 100 slide film and it evenly lit up the whole room. Truly amazing.

Hi Bill, you are right but I should have mentioned that this test is for a really large room (ballroom) where bounce is not applicable. But on the size of room you have mentioned, I am imagining what a great evenly spread light that would be!

Jude

For $18, the Omni-bounce works quite well if you aim it at the ceiling or walls, in a average sized to large room (for $0.05, an index card and rubber band works almost as well). It works because it spreads the light broadly, so much of the light bounces against ceilings and walls, and therefore, the subject is primarily lit by that indirect, soft light. In a very large room or hall, shooting with the flash tube directly at the subject, I don't think the Omni-bounce is going to do too much softening of the light. Without bouncing off of ceilings and walls, the source of light is only marginally bigger than the bare flashtube.

Test it for your self, and see if there is really any difference with or with the Omni-bounce, and when its pointed directly at the subject or bounced onto ceilings or walls.

That "factor of 2.5" means that your flash's guide number is down to 40 per cent of its original one with the Omni-Bounce attached. Theres no need for any exposure compensation or other special settings.<p>Background brightness depends mainly on ambient light, i.e. it's controlled by the shutter speed; flash output has very limited influence unless the background is close to the subject.